women fists raised in air
women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Ways to Celebrate Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

March is Women’s History Month! 31 days to appreciate and celebrate Women. There are many reasons why this is such an important month. There have been several achievements done by many women across the world and we still have more to achieve. Although women should be celebrated all the time, this is a significant time to celebrate women and the historical accomplishments that have occurred. So, I have made a list of ways you can celebrate Women’s History Month!

Support Female-Owned Businesses

Supporting a female-owned business is a great way to celebrate. There are plenty of female-owned businesses. Show these succesful women your support a little extra this month. An even better way is to support some LOCAL female-owned business. Support to any company is support, but local businesses could always use the extra love. I have listed below some great female-owned businesses you can support.

Brick and Motor Boutique

– Mezzanine Boutique

Tala

Oars and Alps

Billie

Savage x Fenty

Swell

Coya’s Cafe

Random Act of Kindness

Do a random act of kindness. Kindness should occur all the time, but I think we forget to stop and go out of our way to do an act of kindnesss. Emphasize this kindness to females. A good idea could be to post sticky notes with kind words by the mirror in the school bathrrom. Looking at yourself in the mirror and then seeing an encouraging note by it can go a long way for someone. Instead of judging or critizing a female, how about you compliment her for her hair or outfit. Uplift one another instead of tearing each other down. 

Self-Love

It is so important to practice self-love so try to emphasize some self-love practices during this month. We can be a little too critical of ourselves and that won’t help us feel our best. It is so easy to always want to look like someone else or say “I wish I was that pretty” or “I wish I had that body” so we forget to appreciate our own beauty. It can be hard to realize this when you are scrolling through social media every day and comparing yourself to everyone’s posts. One suggestion is to delete social media if you have to for a while. We need to remember to love ourselves for who we are and stop comparing ourselves to other females. Appreciating someone else’s beauty is one thing, but consistently comparing yourself to others is when it starts to get unhealthy. Every day tell yourself at least one positive thing that you love about yourself. Do this until it becomes habitual to positively appreicate yourself. If you are lacking self-love because negative people are bringing you down, then it is time to distance yourself from the negativity. Trust me, you will feel so much better. There are times you just need to put yourself first to be able to appreciate yourself for the person that you are.

Volunteer or Donate to an Organization that Supports Girls

There are so many organizations out there that are committed to helping other girls and women. Have some free time? Go volunteer and check out some of those organizations. One common orginazation is Girl Scouts. We all know those amazing cookies they sell, how about you reach out and ask how you can help them. There are also orgnizations like Dress for Success that empower women to succeed by providing the tools and resources they need. We happen to have one locally in the QC that you can volunteer for. Also, we all know Spring is coming up, and when you do your Spring Cleaning how about you pick out all the clothes you don’t wear anymore and donate them to your local Women’s Shelters. There are more great organizations that you can be involved with or give donations that I will link down below for you.

Dress for Success Quad Cities

Girl Scouts

Girls Who Code

Women for Women

Step Up

Night Light

Check Up On Your Girlfriends

Check up on your girlfriends or the women in your life. Reaching out and checking in can let someone know you care. I know with school, our lives can get pretty hectic, but let’s be there for each other and take a moment to catch up.

Read Girl Empowerment Books

Do you need some extra inspiration in your life? Or do you want to learn more about women? Pick up a book about girl empowerment or a book about successful women! There are tons and tons of books out and I will have some favorites linked below for you.

– Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

– Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde

#Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

Becoming by Michelle Obama

Create a Goals Vision Board

Speaking of inspiration, I love to make vision boards to visually put my goals and inspirations on a wall. This also helps me visualize all the good things I want to feel. It doesn’t all have to be about goals, it can be a collection of things that make you feel inspired or happy. Adding this to an area you are around frequently, like your bedroom or by your desk, gives you that daily motivation every time you see it. Plus this makes for very cute decor!

Girls Weekend

Spring break is usually in this month also so you have some time to plan out a girls weekend! Plan a mini get away or have a slumber party and spend the night with junk food and movies. You can also get dressed up and go out for the night, live your best life with your girls by your side.

Watch Favorite Heroine Movie or a Documentary

Have a night in and just relax by watching your favorite heroine movie or watch an informational documentary. I know I can watch documentaries all day long. Watching a good documentary can be very inspiring and motivational. Movies and documentaries listed below:

– Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise

– He Named Me Malala

– Ladies First

– Wonder Woman

– Brave

– Moana

– Frozen

Read a History Lesson Over Women’s History Month

It is also important to stay educated on the topic. We can do a whole bunch of activites but without understanding the significance of Women’s History Month then it kinda defeats the purpose. You can simply do a quick Google search online and read a mini history lesson over Women’s History Month. A mini history lesson can give a better understanding to the importance of Women’s History Month.

My typical day goes a little like this: Coffee. Code. Sleep. Repeat. I am all about female empowerment, heavy coffee drinker, and a computer nerd.
Her Campus at SAU