Transfer Students: How to Survive 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Whether you’re transferring from a JuCo or Community College, or even from a different four year school, being a transfer student is one of the hardest transitions students can go through. Take it from me, an actual transfer student, who is still, almost three months into school, struggling with the adjustment almost every day. However, let it be known that every day has gotten easier, it just takes time. Here’s eight different words of advice of how I, personally, have survived being a transfer student.

1. Take a deep breath, everything will be okay.

You’re going to have those days, especially in the beginning, when you just want to curl up in a ball in cry. You are going to have your mental breakdowns here and there, but it happens. Go ahead and have that mental breakdown, but when you’re done, take a deep breath and look past it.

2. Know where your classes are BEFORE the first day of class.

Between having only ten minutes to run to your next class and the fact that it is clear across campus, the only thing that could make it worse is having no idea where you’re going or how to go about getting there. I know it sounds like you’re back in high school, walking around the halls trying to find your classes, but this will make your first day of classes much less stressful.

3. Keep calm and introduce yourself.

Whether it’s to your professors or to the other people in your class, introduce yourself. These people are here to help you. Your professors want you to succeed just as much as you do, if not more, and when it comes to group projects it makes it a lot easier to find a group you are comfortable with if you already have an idea of those who are in your class.

4. Stop comparing your new school to your old one.

This was one thing that was extremely hard for me to get past, and actually, I still catch myself doing it to this day. You’ll catch yourself telling your new roommate about your old ones, or you’ll tell a story to someone about how great or how much you loved your old school. However, what I have realized is, NO ONE CARES. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but sometimes the truth hurts. I absolutely love all of the people I met at my community college, and they will forever be some of my closest friends, but I am where I am now to start a new journey without those people.

5. Take advantage of having a roommate.

You’re roommate could be another transfer student or someone who has already been at your new school the year before. Either way, take advantage of always having someone around. If they are a transfer student, you’re lucky, you’re not alone on this struggle bus. However, if you are like me, your roommate has already been here for one or two years. To this day I still ask my roommate how certain things around the campus work. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to ask her where certain things are located or how to check certain things online. Also, if you do get close to your roommate, take advantage of her friends and try to make friends with them too. Basically every friend that I have on campus is due to the fact that they are already close to my roommate. This way it can relieve a little bit of pressure on you to make new friends.

6. Don’t be afraid to do things alone and put yourself out there.

We all know those types of girls; the ones that refuse to go anywhere or do anything without having someone else do it with them. To be honest, I didn’t go to the café for the first two weeks of school because I had no one to go with. However, now I am completely over that and if it comes down to it, I will eat at a table by myself without thinking twice about it. This also means, don’t be afraid to go out there and do campus activities by yourself. This is a great way to meet new people. You want to do something that you got a campus email about, but your roommate isn’t in the mood? Do not, and I repeat, do not, feel ashamed of showing up by yourself. It is more than likely that someone else also got the nerve to come alone as well.

7. Get involved.

One thing that has overall helped me with my transition the most would be getting involved around campus. This means joining clubs, joining an intramural team, and even doing volunteer work. This alone has given me the chance to meet tons of people across campus and have the ability to walk to class and see at least one familiar face. There is not limit on how many clubs and organizations you join, so take advantage of that.

8. & lastly, DO NOT ISOLATE YOURSELF!

This was another huge thing that I struggled with in the beginning. I would find myself sitting in my room for hours on end, binge-watching Netflix, until I eventually fell asleep every night. I would usually say no if I was offered to go out with my roommate and her friends and I didn’t make much effort to do anything with anyone. Don’t get me wrong, everyone needs their alone time every once in a while, but don’t make that an everyday thing. If someone offers you to go out with them, whether it’s to a movie or to the bars, GO! You only have so many years of college left, and these are suppose to the best days of our lives, so take complete advantage of that and have fun.

Hi my name is Vic(Tori)a. I enjoy eating endless amouts of potato chips and regretting it afterwards, shopping even when I can't afford it, and checking things off my to-do list.
Her Campus at SAU