Top 5 Cultural Differences in Spain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

So, I’ve been in Spain for about a week, and here are some cultural differences that I’ve noticed so far. 

1. Smoking 

In America, there’s an occasional smoker, but it’s not very common anymore. Walking around in Salamanca, there are people smoking usually every time I step out of my house 

2. Siesta 

For college students it’s not rare to take a nap in the middle of the day, but in Spain everyone does it. It’s called a siesta, small shops shut down, people leave work and come have lunch and take a nap 

3. Greetings 

When you first meet someone in America, it’s typically hi how are you, and you give them a handshake. When you first meet someone in Spain, you’re greeted by two kisses one on each cheek. That’s also how they say goodbye.. took a little bit getting used to. 

4. Timing 

In America, we usually wake up around 7:30-8 a.m., have lunch around noon and dinner around 6:30-7 p.m.. Here in Spain everything starts later. Stores don’t usually open until 10 a.m., lunch is at 2:30-3:30 p.m. and dinner isn’t until 10 p.m.

5. Graffiti 

There is graffiti in the states, but not a lot, at least there isn’t where i’m from. Whereas in Spain, I feel like there are tons of graffiti everywhere. It’s super cool to see, just something different that I’ve noticed. 

GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

.
Major: Marketing // Minor: PR  Fashion, food and Instagram.  Follow-up with my articles to learn more about me and Her Campus at SAU. #GoBees