Career

Tips and Advice for Finding an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

If you are in a major that requires/recommends an internship and you are struggling or do not know where to start, don’t fret!

Having an internship is really important. It can really set you apart from other candidates when applying for a job. So don’t give up on the hunt. Here are some tips on some good questions to ask and things to look out for when on the internship search. 

1. How to start the search

There are many resources you can use to start the search. First, use your school’s career center. Many companies let colleges know about openings first so they can let their students know. Next, LinkedIn. If you do not have a LinkedIn profile then get on it now! There are thousands of internship opportunities all around the country that you can apply for through LinkedIn. 

2. Make sure you are doing relevant work 

Some internships will take advantage of interns (especially unpaid!) They know that college students are looking for work experience. Make sure to ask what projects you will be working on, you do not want to be a coffee runner! You want to try to get an experience that will help you build a real foundation for a future career. 

3. Find out about pay

I have heard many people going through the hiring process, typically at smaller/start-up companies, without knowing that the position is unpaid. Don’t be afraid to ask, “Is this a paid position?” or “What is the wage for this internship?” It isn’t rude to do so. Just because you are a college student doesn’t mean you don’t have the right to ask questions. If you can afford/want to do an unpaid internship go for it! But do not be tricked into it…

4. Still having trouble?

If you are still having trouble, try going to your school’s career center. Ask them for help with your resume and what they think you can work on. Maybe you need to find internships that are relevant to your skill set. 

Image 1, Image 2, Image 3

Her Campus at SAU