For those Collegiettes™ who don’t watch the Super Bowl…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

For those of us who don’t follow football, Super Bowl weekend is nothing special. It can even get irritating because it seems as if there is nothing else to do Sunday night but watch the game. Well, maybe it’s time you start a tradition of your own.

Sunday night is a great time to set aside some time to watch an epic adventure movie. We’ve all seen them, but they aren’t the usual picks because they aren’t fluffy and short like most movies we’ll pop in during a busy week. The past two years while the Super Bowl has been playing, TBS has played Titanic, and now this year I plan to continue the tradition and watch Titanic during the big game. I absolutely adore that movie, but it’s hard to set aside three hours to watch such a heavy film. Some of my favorite epic films are: Apollo 13, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, A Few Good Men, An Officer and a Gentlemen, and Taken. Some marathons you could plan to have are Harry Potter, Spiderman, Twilight Saga, The Mummy, or a collection of your favorite Disney movies.

Think about having a Nicholas Sparks romance novel night, and watch films such as Dear John, The Last Song, A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, and Nights in Rodanthe. Some of these movies are our favorites, and we’ve seen them a million times, but sometimes it’s comforting to watch a favorite movie again and realize why you fell in love with it in the first place.

So, this Sunday, do the unexpected.  Grab the popcorn and enjoy one of these movies.  If you feel guilty about missing the game, watch it during commercials.  You’ll either catch the game or the great Super Bowl commercials—you can’t lose.

Some movies on television this Sunday, February 5:

AMC:
            4:30 Sleepless in Seattle
            7:00 ET- the Extra-Terrestrial

TBS:
            4:15 Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
            6:15 The Wedding Date

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!