AcneMaskHero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
AcneMaskHero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Canva
Wellness > Mental Health

Things to Do when Having A Mental Health Day During Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As someone who is usually busy with a fixed routine, I struggle during winter and spring breaks because I do not have anything to do. Due to my high functioning anxiety, this usually leads to me going crazy or having panic attacks and stomach pains on and off. Now that I am learning more coping mechanisms, and healing from a break-up, I have found many things I love to do when I am having a rough mental health day.

1. Have a Self-Care day: Put a face mask on and exfoliate your beautiful skin! Perhaps give yourself a mani-pedi or have one professionally done. Over Christmas, I received many products including face masks, exfoliating gloves and socks, towel scrunchies, body scrub, and lotion. I have been using these products, and they make me feel beautiful. 
  2. Listen to Music: Music helps me leave the world for a bit and go somewhere more serene. I recently was given a record player, and I have so many records I listen to on repeat every day. If you are looking for artists to help you escape the world for a little bit, I recommend Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles. Their music is not hateful and alarming; I find it more down-to-earth and serene than some of the music on the radio. 
  3. Watch Bob Ross painting videos: Okay, hear me out; watching Bob Ross videos is the best way to calm down after a stressful episode. His voice is very calming, and he is always positive in his videos. I have not followed his videos to try for myself, but I enjoy unwinding and watching him paint “little happy trees”. 
  4. Clean: Cleaning your room, house, or even your car helps you take your mind off everything. I recently cleaned out my car and seeing the end product made me feel like I accomplished something. I even decorated the back with pillows, a blanket, and Bob the Minion. 
  5. Hang out with friends: Since I am currently healing from a break-up, I have been putting together plans to hang out with friends. Even if it is just lunch or maybe a shopping trip, it will boost up your mood. I also am planning on learning how to cook with my best friend and I am very excited. 
  6. Playing Video Games: Since I still have my Wii from the 2010s, I have been trying to beat all of my games. I also enjoy playing Sims 4 and Animal Crossing. I have been getting far in these games, and it helps me get my mind off negative things.

Overall, there are many helpful resources online to give you ideas on what to do. I hope you find your niche!

Dani Stevens is an editor at the HC chapter at SAU. She oversees article editing. Beyond HC, Dani is involved on campus in SAAT and symphonic band. She also works in the music department as a work study. Dani is majoring in Early Childhood Education with an endorsement in Special Education. In her free time, Dani plays clarinet and saxophone. She also is a mom to six plants. In the summer, she works as a camp coordinator. For this year, Dani is working in Adaptive and Inclusion through Davenport Parks and Recreation. She also runs her own podcast called Pop Culture Blast.