The Women of YA, Books written by women to read during Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As most people, if not everybody knows, March is Women’s History Month. As an individual who reads quite a lot I thought I would share some of the most popular female Young Adult authors of the 21st century. Many of these authors have had their books adapted into to movies or tv shows, and the others are definitely heading in that same direction!

Jenny Han

You will most likely recognize author Jenny Han from her most popular trilogy “To All the Boy’s I’ve Loved Before,” which was adapted to the screen through Netflix in 2018! Jenny has also written the trilogy “the Summer I Turned Pretty,” which is set to be released as a series on the streaming service Amazon Prime. Some more not so common books Jenny has written includes “Shug,” released in 2006, and she cowrote the trilogy “Burn for Burn,” released in 2013. Jenny also won the award for Young Adult Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature in 2016. In person she is just as nice as she is through her writing as well!!

Victoria Aveyard

The genre of Victoria Aveyard’s books would best be described as fantasy, with a side of history, and touch of action. She is best known for her “Red Queen” series, which focuses on a teenage girl who finds out she has powers in a society where a person of her class should have nothing of the sort. Victoria has recently begun a new series with the first book titled “Realm Breaker.” You can find her on TikTok where she discusses her writing process and how it its into her daily life, under the username @Victoriaaveyard!

Stephanie Meyers

I had to include Stephanie Meyers on this list, because although it’s not as popular now Twilight altered the game of young adult Romance and Fantasy. The “Twilight” series initially released in 2005, adapted to the screen in 2008, had people all over the globe debating which team was better Jacob or Edward. I personally saw all the movies as they came out, but didn’t actually read the books until quarantine and I was pleasantly surprised. Honestly, the biggest difference between the books and movies was that Bella actually had quite a lot of fight in her. Stephanie not only wrote the Twilight series but she also wrote another science fiction book titled “The Host” also a movie.

Suzanne Collins

Now I am pretty positive everyone knows Suzanne Collin’s most popular work “The Hunger Games” trilogy, which was adapted to the big screen in 2012. However, rereading this trilogy will always motivate me to keep pushing on. Yes, even though Katniss Everdeen is a made up character, in a fictional world, she is still an amazingly strong willed woman who strives to do what she thinks is best.

Becky Albertalli

Becky Albertalli’s most recognizable book is “Simon V.S the Homo Sapien’s Agenda” better known as “Love, Simon” which was also a novel adapted to the big screen in 2018. Becky is the first author on this list to have the main character of her best selling book not identify as a female. “Simon V.S the Homo Sapien’s Agenda” discusses the problems behind having to come out to your family only if you identify as LGBTQIA+, and how living in a less accepting town can have an impact on your life after coming out. Since writing this novel she has written two sequels also dealing with similar topics, and has cowritten a duology with another famous Young Adult author titled “What if It’s Us.”

Marissa Meyer

Another primarily Fantasy author is Marissa Meyer. She is best known for her fairytale retelling series called “The Lunar Chronicles.” Each book in the series reimagines a fairytale princess or character as living in a dystopian future where there are not only androids, but also wolves, and magic, and aliens (to a degree). I recommend listening to this series in audiobook form to really get the full-extent of the dozens of accents in each story. *P.S. This is also a series I have listened to numerous times!*

Sarah J. Mass

The final author on this list is definitely known for her action packed and fantastical books. Sarah J. Mass’s first series “Throne of Glass” features a ruthless female assassin forced to compete in a battle to become the King’s bodyguard in order to win her freedom. While completing that series Sarah also has been writing another series “A Court of Thrones and Roses.” This series is magic based and takes bits and pieces from various fairytales and fantasies and incorporates action at many points. I personally have been drawn more to the “Throne of Glass” series but that’s probably because I enjoy a plot where the main character is bad and plans on staying bad in the end!

Screen Shot 2021 11 22 at 42246 PM?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Amazon.com
I am a senior Human Performance and Fitness major who loves reading, acting, and motivating others through organizations such as Dance Marathon. I hope to become a pediatric occupational therapist, so that I can help even more people.