This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Everyone is aware that one day every November, we take a day to remember the brave men and women who fought for our country. This day is spent honoring both those that have lost their lives, and those who have made it home. But those who have made it home don’t always make it home unscathed. This year Veterans Day lands on Friday, November 11. Across the United States, businesses and some schools often take the day off in observance of this day. In most cases, we see small businesses close in observance, but in most cases, restaurants offer deals in honor of Veterans Day.

In regards to schools closing down, it just depends on the district. A lot of school districts across the country, close down in observance of the day, but still use it as an opportunity to teach their students the importance of honoring our members of the Armed Forces. When I was in public K-12 education, we often didn’t get Veterans Day off from school, but rather we used the day to show our appreciation for those who have served our country. One of my favorite memories from school and celebrating this day was in high school. Every year my high school puts on a Veterans Day dinner where they invite Veterans and their families to come out and enjoy dinner, music, and decorations to show them that they are loved and that we are grateful for their sacrifices.

Regardless of if you know someone, or you yourself, have enlisted and served our country, this is a day to show all of our Veterans and Veteran families across the country that we appreciate their sacrifice. This is one day that we, collectively, can come together and put aside our differences to honor the men and women who have served our nation, and put others needs and wellbeing before their own. So this Friday, take the time to thank a United States Armed Forces member. Write a letter to send to a member over seas. Show them that they are appreciated and loved by the people they are fighting to protect.

Cassie is the Senior Editor at HC @SAU. She oversees the Editorial Team and helps out the writers. Beyond HC, Cassie is involved on campus. Phi Eta Sigma, Sigma Tau Delta, and student assisting on the softball team are some of the organizations/clubs she is involved in. She is also a substitute teacher. Cassie is majoring in English for Secondary Education (5-12) and has an endorsement in English as a Second Language (ESL for K-12). In her free time, Cassie likes to read, relax, watch TV/Movies, and spend time with her family and friends. A fun fact about Cassie is that she read the entire Harry Potter series when she was in 3rd grade, and has re-read it 4+ times.