Wellness

The Importance of Self-Love this Valentines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

With Valentines day here, and the scent of love in the air, it is extremely important to remember to show yourself some love–regardless of if you’re in a relationship or not. To be able to show your love to someone else, you must first be able to show love to yourself. Which granted can sometimes be really hard to do. Giving yourself love and care can be one of the hardest things to do. But that is why it is important to practice self-love, especially during Valentines season. Here are some of the best ways to practice self-love techniques, and some words of affirmation that you can say to yourself.

Self-Love practices

• Do something you genuinely love! Do a skin mask, get your nails done, watch your favorite show or movie! Do something that makes you relax and breathe!
  • Write it down! Actually set aside time for yourself. Put it in your calendar and stick to it!
  • Be an artist! Color in a coloring book, make some pottery, paint a fun little ceramic.

Self-love affirmations

• I am perfect just the way I am.
  • I am proud of who I am becoming.
  • I am worthy of love, my flaws and all.
  • My imperfections make me unique.
  • I will let go of feelings of guilt and negativity, for they do not serve me.
  • My life is full of opportunities for success and happiness.
  • I choose to fill my life with love and joy.
  • Today, I choose to focus on me.
  • I am beautiful inside and out.
  • I will cherish my relationship with myself.

So remember today, and everyday, that you are capable of love and happiness. But that first has to come from within. Take the time to show yourself love and compassion. Because you are beautiful and it’s time that you take care of your body, mind, and soul. Happy self-love to all you gorgeous people out there!

Cassie is the Senior Editor at HC @SAU. She oversees the Editorial Team and helps out the writers. Beyond HC, Cassie is involved on campus. Phi Eta Sigma, Sigma Tau Delta, and student assisting on the softball team are some of the organizations/clubs she is involved in. She is also a substitute teacher. Cassie is majoring in English for Secondary Education (5-12) and has an endorsement in English as a Second Language (ESL for K-12). In her free time, Cassie likes to read, relax, watch TV/Movies, and spend time with her family and friends. A fun fact about Cassie is that she read the entire Harry Potter series when she was in 3rd grade, and has re-read it 4+ times.