Wellness > Health

The Importance of Prioritizing Your Health During A Pandemic Spike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Let’s start the semester off with some basic reminders. 

While the new year has begun, the pandemic that has drastically affected our lives over the past two years is still raging on. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the United States is experiencing a rise in case numbers and high transmission rates with the emergence of the newest variant, Omicron. From what we know about the Omicron variant thus far since its appearance in December of 2021, this variant of the Covid-19 virus spreads more easily and rapidly compared to the original virus that broke out. Following the holiday season in which many people spent time traveling to visit with family and friends, we are seeing an uptick in cases that do not seem to be slowing down anytime soon. 

Many college campuses, mine included, are returning back to in-person classes for the Spring 2022 semester. I know my fair share of individuals who are extremely anxious about this return to college life due to the vast number of other students, who have been home with their families, that we will be exposed to. Since the Omicron variant is transmitted from one person to another with such ease, it is of utmost importance to prioritize your health during the transition period back to school this semester (and truly, all semester). While there is no foolproof way to prevent being infected with Covid-19, not even being fully vaccinated with a booster shot, all active efforts to slow the spread and keep yourself as healthy as possible will be beneficial to yourself and those that surround you. 

The following are some reminders of what you can do to stay safe and healthy. First and foremost, limit your contact with other people if you are feeling ill. Even if you are not sick with Covid, keeping your distance from other people prevents them from contracting an unnecessary illness. Next, try your best to only be in contact with those people you need to be around when possible. While it is understandable that the pandemic has put a strain on many social lives, it is easier to trace cases when your circle is small and consistent. As always, following mask guidelines and always being equipped with hand sanitizer and disinfectants can help prevent viral matter lingering in the air and on surfaces from entering your body. 

The guideline I think we tend to forget most often as college students remembering to keep yourself healthy! This means making sure you are eating nutritious foods, exercising, getting in necessary vitamins, sleeping an appropriate number of hours, managing stress, and maintaining proper hygiene to prevent spreading multiple illnesses. Especially during the colder months, it is crucial to keep your immune system as boosted as possible during the pandemic. When the semester starts to pick up, we neglect some of the basics that are necessary for our health. For me, this boils down to a battle with a good diet and stress management, which I have to give extra attention to. For some, a solid sleep routine may begin to slip away and others may forget to wash their hands as frequently. Whatever it is that you struggle with, prioritize getting yourself into a routine to create good habits early this semester. Your health depends on it!

Stay healthy and start the semester off strong!

Hello! I am a Forensic Psychology Major with Minors in Criminal Justice and Sociology. I am the secretary for Sexual Assault Awareness Team and am involved in STEP and Psychology Club at St. Ambrose University. In my free time I enjoy painting and embroidering, being a dog mom, and spending time with my friends!