Taking the Leap: What Changing My Major Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

“What’s your major again?”

The age old question asked by every single family member you see at EVERY family function. One that you are tired of answering because 1) you don’t want to explain it, again and 2) you aren’t really that confident in your choice.

Well, I’ve been there, and I think any college student who’s heard that question for the 5,837th time is unsure. Is this major right for me? Will I excel at a job pertaining to this major? Will I even get a job? These uncertainties are a big reason I even thought of changing my major. I started out as an Art Therapy major, because all my life I had been sketching, painting, and drawing but I wasn’t quite good enough to be just an “artist”. I thought, art therapy could have me working with people (which I was good at), but still give me my art fix.

I still wasn’t confident though (and that’s totally ok).

So I did my research, job shadowed, checked job opportunities and trending fields in the art world, and really did some soul searching. What I found was my PERFECT major: Graphic Design. This allows me to interact with people and still do the creative work that I love. Honestly, this is one of the best decision I have ever made. Here’s why:

For one, I no longer dreaded the age old question. When asked, “What’s your major?” I smile and answer with complete confidence.

Secondly, It led me to find my perfect school with small class sizes and really personable art teachers at SAU. So, what can you learn from this? QUESTION YOURSELF.

If you are unsure of your major, your minor, or the career choice you have in mind, question it. Do your research, ask someone in your future field for a job shadow opportunity, go online and read everything you can. Ask people who care about you for advice, because sometimes they do know what’s best for you.

Above all, listen to your gut. We all want to rock in our future careers, and taking the time to reevaluate and be super confident in your major choice will put you one step closer to being the ultimate #BossBabe.

Sources: Raven, Easy A, Hair Flip, Queen Bey