This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

It’s that time of year! Stores prepare for the loads of people buying snacks and booze in bulk, fans put on their favorite football garb, and families are torn apart. That’s right, Super Bowl time. Along with this exciting game come some extremely expensive advertisements and commercials that really know how to catch the eye of consumers! In fact, according to Vox, the average Super Bowl commercial cost a cool $5 MILLION for just 30 seconds. So, to commemorate Super Bowl LIV (Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers) and make sure these companies’ money doesn’t go to waste, I have compiled a list of laughs for you: five Super Bowl ads that are truly memorable.

#1: It’s a Tide Ad (Super Bowl LII)

I really don’t know what it is about this one, but it’s just really so funny. It features Stranger Things actor David Harbour inserting himself into several different kinds of stereotypical commercials: perfume commercials, mattress commercials, Amazon Alexa commercials, even Old Spice commercials! Each of these scenes has characters with impeccable clothing; therefore, it must be a Tide ad! All of the goofy events in this 2018 commercial make it all the more memorable, and having a heavier-set guy in tight clothes makes it even better.

#2: Bud Light Corn Syrup Ad (Super Bowl LIII)

Even though this commercial may have sparked political issues between farmers and Budweiser (read more about this issue here), the whole “Dilly Dilly” campaign in itself is truly a masterpiece. The story line is basically about a group of commoners and their beer. Since Bud Light doesn’t brew its beer with corn syrup, the tribe in this advertisement attempts to deliver it to other “beer tribes”, implying that other beer companies use corn syrup for their beer. Setting aside the politics of it all, the commercial itself is hilarious.

#3: Snicker’s Hungry Betty White (Super Bowl XLIV)

Who doesn’t love Betty White? The hilarious and ingenious actress starred in this Snicker commercial in 2010 in which she plays a rough and dirty game of football with the guys until she takes on a major tackle from the opposing team. In a group huddle, White, hungry and exhausted, is confronted and talks a bit of smack right back… until she is given a tasty Snickers bar.

#4: Reebok’s Terry Tate: Office Linebacker (Super Bowl XXXVII)

This commercial reminded me of my all time favorite TV show, The Office, due to the quirky nature of it. Not the excessive tackles and screaming. Terry Tate stars in this Reebok commercial in which he increases productivity in the office that recently hired him. From preventing workers from playing solitaire to keeping everyone else in line, Tate makes for a great office linebacker!

#5: Amazon Alexa (Super Bowl LIII)

Cue the Star Wars theme! This silly commercial features Harrison Ford feuding with his self-sufficient dog, as well as presenting several useless or dumb technological innovations involving everyone’s favorite (or least favorite) Artificial Intelligence: Alexa. Amazon employees discuss these inventions in this 2019 Super Bowl commercial.

Although I did not catch all of the funniest Super Bowl commercials, these were some that stood out to me in the compilations of funny commercials I watched on YouTube, and I figured anyone reading this needs a laugh if they live in the Midwest… considering all the snow. Be sure to catch Super Bowl LIV on Feb 2 at 6:30 ET on FOX stations or on the FOX Sports App. Click here for more information. 

Happy Watching!

Communications major at SAU Participates in the women's track and field program and KALA-FM Running, cat, coffee, and true crime enthusiast
Her Campus at SAU