Summer Lovin’ and the Perfect Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

If you find yourself in a “Danny and Sandy” situation, enjoying those summer nights with a significant other, you may be seeking suggestions of what to do. So here is your summer survival guide to dating. With some traditional date ideas, and some creative ones too!

Drive-in theatre

A classic, go to the drive-in with your sweetheart. Don’t forget blankets if it’s going to be a chilly night and load up on the snacks! Some drive-in’s have double features so the fun doesn’t have to stop after one film.

Splash into the pool…AT A WATER PARK

Water parks are great because they have a variety of activities you can do. Race down the slides, show off on the diving board, and watch all the little kids trying to swim. Load up on sunscreen and break out your favorite swimsuit.

Outdoor concerts

Find a local outdoor concert even if it’s a band you’ve never heard of. Sometimes that’s how the next big artists are discovered. Everyone loves music, and getting to enjoy the outdoors while jamming out.

Volunteer for a humane society

Humane societies are always needing volunteers to walk and hang out with the animals. If you’re both animal lovers then pursue this opportunity. Have fun while doing some good.

Visit a carnival or amusement park

Ride the rides, see the attractions, get your fill of junk food. What can be more romantic than that? Oh yes, holding your sweetheart’s hand while riding a scary rollercoaster.

Wine tasting

If you’re of age of course, wine tasting is a classy event to go to and can be fun for a group date setting.

Dance lessons

Many places offer dance lessons of a variety of styles. Salsa, ballroom dancing, line dancing–it’s all fun and a good way to get up and moving.

Ice cream shoppe

Need to beat the heat? Love ice cream? Visit an ice cream shoppe and order something “new and creative” for each other. My personal favorite is mixing green apple ice cream and butter pecan, tastes like a caramel apple sucker!

Day road trips

If you have time to spare and gas in the tank, hop in the car and go for a drive with no specific destination. Make sure to have plenty of tunes on your ipod for sing- alongs if the conversation dies down.

Go see a play

Lots of theatres locally have great summer productions.  Find something the two of you will enjoy and make an event out of it. Dress up, go to dinner, go out for post show drinks. The show will give you something to talk about for days.

These are just some ideas. Be creative.  You know your sweetheart best.  Do something the two of you both enjoy and can bond over. Cherish the memories and make the most out of summer 2012!

A lover, dreamer and overachiver.