Strong Females on the Silver Screen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Last week, SAU Her Campus put on the “Think Pink” event in the Beehive. This event brought a large group of girls from across campus to help support the event! Our event included massages from La’James College, tons of activities, treats and screening the movie, Legally Blonde. This event was a really great way to support Breast Cancer Awareness! I think this event was a great way to show the unity of women, the strength they carry, and the independence each woman has.

Watching Legally Blonde for like the tenth time reminded me of the importance of how women carry themselves every day in society. Like Elle Woods, there are many other women in movies who are strong individuals. Here are just a few of my favorite movies that portray strong female roles that represent woman around the world.

1.       Breakfast at Tiffany’s

In this 1961 film, starring Audrey Hepburn, the movie portrays a young girl living on her own terms, in her own apartment, in the heart of New York City. As she tries to figure out who she is, she shares her clouded mind with her cat named “Cat” and her next door neighbor. This movie is a great example of young woman trying to figure out who she is with a few hiccups along the way. Going to Tiffany’s  is always a great therapy for any woman.

2.       Miss Congeniality

Starring the one and only Sandra Bullock, this film represents what all women seek to be, a total badass with a little sass, and showing anyone who is everyone what it takes to see the bigger picture of beauty! Also, who can’t have more world peace in their life?

3.       The Devil Wears Prada

This movie is one of my favorites! Starring Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep, this portrays a woman (Anne Hathaway) serving as an assistant to the highly powerful, fashion magazine editor (Meryl Streep), who makes it seem like her main job is to intimidate everyone in her way. As Andy (Hathaway) refuses to let anyone ruin her chances of getting to where she needs to be in life, she begins to show others and even herself that self-motivation, determination, and a little lipstick will allow nothing to get in her way!

4.       Sex and the City

Starting off with the television series for ten seasons, then continuing into two movies, Sex and the City portrays the lives and friendships of four women. These four women represent any women dealing with men, their careers, their personal struggles, and did I mention men? This phenomenal storyline represents women all over who need a little help finding out who they are with friends by their side, happiness in their lives, and tons on retail therapy!

Hi readers! My name is Mary Blesz! I am a sophomore at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa. I am double majoring in Marketing and Management, with minors in Public Relations and Organizational Leadership! I am involved with Residence Life on campus, and also cannot wait to help with St. Ambrose's Dance Marathon! Helping out the kids is such a fulfilling thing I have done in the past and can't wait to see where this goes! FTK (For the Kids!)When I am not busy with the mountian full of homework I always have, I will normally be seen with all my friends! My friends are great group of people that I have met here at Ambrose! College has opened my eyes to so many new people! It is kind of interesting to me to meet people from all over; like Chicago (lots of my friends are from the area) and even people who loved in the same hometown!!!I have a huge "passion for fashion." I love to see what is most popular, and incorporate the latest trends within my own style. My style has a mixture of what my mood of the day is! One day I can pull out the high-waisted shorts and the crop top and flaunt my ombre hair, and then another day, wear the classic peplum top, with my hair pulled into a fashionable bun! I love reading about the latest trends and expressing it through my own personal style! I hope you enjoy what I can share with you through my own experiences and stories! Enjoy!!!!
Her Campus at SAU