This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Fall breezes and cozy nights are just a few weeks away. Fall has always been my favorite season and there is no better way to spend a fall day than with a warm drink, a fuzzy blanket, and a book. Here are some spooky books on my list for the fall!

Carmila by J Sheridan Le Faun

In an isolated castle deep in the Austrian forest, Laura leads a solitary life with only her ailing father for company. Until one moonlit night, a horse-drawn carriage crashes into view, carrying an unexpected guest – the beautiful Carmilla. So begins a feverish friendship between Laura and her mysterious, entrancing companion. But as Carmilla becomes increasingly strange and volatile, prone to eerie nocturnal wanderings, Laura finds herself tormented by nightmares and growing weaker by the day… Pre-dating Dracula by twenty-six years, Carmilla is the original vampire story, steeped in sexual tension and gothic romance.

Unwell Women by Elinor Cleghorn

Packed with character studies and case histories of women who have suffered, challenged, and rewritten medical orthodoxy–and the men who controlled their fate–this is a revolutionary examination of the relationship between women, illness, and medicine. With these case histories, Elinor pays homage to the women who suffered so strides could be made, and shows how being unwell has become normalized in society and culture, where women have long been distrusted as reliable narrators of their own bodies and pain. But the time for real change is long overdue: answers reside in the body, in the testimonies of unwell women–and their lives depend on medicine learning to listen.

The Witches Are Coming by Lindy West

In a laugh-out-loud, incisive cultural critique, West extolls the world-changing magic of truth, urging readers to reckon with dark lies in the heart of the American mythos, and unpacking the complicated, and sometimes tragic, politics of not being a white man in the twenty-first century. She tracks the misogyny and propaganda hidden (or not so hidden) in the media she and her peers devoured growing up, a buffet of distortions, delusions, prejudice, and outright bullsh*t that has allowed white male mediocrity to maintain a death grip on American culture and politics-and that delivered us to this precarious, disorienting moment in history.

Family Lore by Elizabeth Acevedo

Spanning the three days prior to the wake, Family Lore traces the lives of each of the Marte women, weaving together past and present, Santo Domingo and New York City. Told with Elizabeth Acevedo’s inimitable and incandescent voice, this is an indelible portrait of sisters and cousins, aunts and nieces–one family’s journey through their history, helping them better navigate all that is to come.

Fruiting Bodies by Kathryn Harlan

In stories that beckon and haunt, Fruiting Bodies ranges confidently from the fantastical to the gothic to the uncanny as it follows characters—mostly queer, mostly women—on the precipice of change. Echoes of timeless myth and folklore reverberate through urgent narratives of discovery, appetite, and coming-of-age in a time of crisis. Audacious, striking, and wholly original, Fruiting Bodies offers stories about knowledge in a world on the verge of collapse, knowledge that alternately empowers or devastates. Pulling beautifully, brazenly, from a variety of literary traditions, Kathryn Harlan firmly establishes herself as a thrilling new voice in fiction.

The Haunting of Alejandra by V Castro 

A woman is haunted by the Mexican folk demon La Llorona as she unravels the dark secrets of her family history in this ravishing and provocative horror novel. Alejandra no longer knows who she is. To her husband, she is a wife, and to her children, a mother. To her own adoptive mother, she is a daughter. But they cannot see who Alejandra has become: a woman struggling with a darkness that threatens to consume her.

Elena is an Editor and Social Media Content Creator at HC @SAU. She oversees writing, edited articles, and posting on our media accounts. Beyond HC Elena is involved in theatre, Quercus, TAC, and is a member of the education preparation program. She also if the workstudy for theatre department, works at SAU Children's Campus, and at a local bookstore. Elena is majoring in Early Childhood Education with an endorsement in Special Education as well as getting a minor in both theatre and writing. In her freetime, Elena enjoys reading, writing poetry, and buying tote bags. Fun fact she is working writing a book.