This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Art, history, and literature are three studies that are not only important, but a creative passion. Senior Rita Hovar combines these three topics in her studies at SAU with majors in art history and English and a minor in art.

Rita is from Machesney Park, Ill. and will be graduating in May. She felt a strong connection to the atmosphere of campus when she decided to come to St. Ambrose. Her love for art history almost made her transfer schools. “I almost transferred after my first year to Colorado State, but I decided to stay when art history became a major,” Rita said.

Art is a strong passion of Rita’s. One of her favorite piece of art is “The Birth of Venus” by the artist, Botticelli. She was able to see the painting in person during her trip to Florence. Rita studied Botticelli for her art history capstone and English senior seminar.

“The Birth of Venus”

Rita also enjoys Michelangelo’s “Pieta” sculpture. “I was more excited about seeing that statue in Rome than seeing the Pope,” the senior said.

“Pieta” 

She hopes to see her favorite statue, the “Winged Victory of Samothrace” at the Louvre someday. Rita explained, “I like anything from French Impressionism to Baroque art to contemporary art and photography.”

“Winged Victory of Samothrace” 

Aside from art, Rita enjoys writing poetry and short fiction. She likes to hang out with her friends and watch “VHS classics” with her roommate. College has been a great experience for Rita.

Rita has loved “meeting a wide variety of people, the amazing teachers, and honestly, learning from life lessons as well as the education I’m getting from my classes.”

Rita is looking forward to be done with undergraduate school and keeping in touch with the friends she made at SAU. She gives advice to underclassmen:

“Don’t procrastinate too much and get behind on homework (I’m still working on this one myself). Don’t try to please everyone because you can’t, but try to be empathetic. Do try and study abroad; I went on the Rome program this past winter, and it was an experience I’ll never forget,” Rita said.

After college, Rita is taking off a year before applying to graduate school and will be staying in Davenport. She hopes to get an internship at the Figge Art Museum, along with a job to start saving money. Rita also hopes to assist some of her teachers in their classes next year.

Fun facts from Rita about herself:

-I have a slight addiction to Pinterest.

-I like to speak in different accents…I’m not very good, but it’s fun for me!

-I became an aunt for the first time almost a month ago. My nephew, Riley, is one of the greatest things that has happened to me and is such a blessing.