Review on Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (SPOILERS)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The other week, I went with my uncle to see the new Hunger Games. I was skeptical at first because I did not believe we needed a new one (yes, lifelong Hunger Games fan here….team Peeta). But girl….I was wrong. It was a great movie. In this article, I am going to talk about the different parts of it.

Characters: Our main characters are Lucy Gray (played by Rachel Zegler) and Corneolainus Snow (played by Tom Blyth). Snow (yes, President Snow) is a man who lives in the districts and is assigned to Lucy Gray as a mentor for the 10th annual Hunger Games. You also have Tigris Snow (played by Hunter Schafer), who is his cousin. You also have the gamemaker Dr.Gaul (played by Viola Davis) who ultimately enrolls him in university after honorably discharging him from when he was a peacekeeper grunt. There is also Sejanus (played by Josh Andres Rivera), who is close friends with Snow. There are more characters, but these are the main ones. 

Setting: Unlike the Hunger Games, the games happened in an arena, which has cameras in every part of it. The mentors (like Snow and Sejanus), sit in a room with a little computer that has options to send them water or food. They have to watch the games constantly as it is being televised as well. The next setting is in District 12, Lucy’s district, and where Snow is located after cheating during the games. Lucy lives with the Covey (the traveling music group she is affiliated with) by the water, outside of the city. But the majority of this movie took place in Panem. 

Plot: Snow is a mentor for Lucy, a girl from District 12. He grows fond of her as he tries every single tactic to get her to win. Once she wins (in a powerful scene where Lucy is singing to the snakes, who are all around her), Panem finds out that he cheated. As a punishment, he is sent to District 12 as a peacekeeper grunt. From here, you start to see Snow’s sanity slowly depleting. He finds Lucy again, and he feels at peace to be with her. Then, he kills a few people, which Lucy takes notice of. She runs away from him, which leads to Snow going insane trying to find her. He lands in a hospital, which cuts to the final part where Snow comes back to the capitol where he is honorably discharged and sent back to university, ultimately becoming a Gamemaker.

Music: Lucy Gray has many hits she sings during the song. One that caught my attention was “The Hanging Tree”, which was inspired by the hangings that occurred in District 12. I remember them introducing it in “Mockingjay Part 1”. Also, many of the other songs are popular on TikTok. Rachel Zegler’s voice paired with a country accent was flawless. 

Moreover, I highly recommend you see this movie if you are a Hunger Games fan!

Dani Stevens is an editor at the HC chapter at SAU. She oversees article editing. Beyond HC, Dani is involved on campus in SAAT and symphonic band. She also works in the music department as a work study. Dani is majoring in Early Childhood Education with an endorsement in Special Education. In her free time, Dani plays clarinet and saxophone. She also is a mom to six plants. In the summer, she works as a camp coordinator. For this year, Dani is working in Adaptive and Inclusion through Davenport Parks and Recreation. She also runs her own podcast called Pop Culture Blast.