Reasons Why Summer is Awesome and Winter is a Drag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

With the recent snow storm and monotonous cold weather, dreams of summer are quite frequent for SAU students.  Davenport could get pretty boring on these cold nights and it gets hard to see any sight of spring, let alone summer. Those long days in the sun, and fun summer nights seem oh so far away.

This is a list of reasons why summer is better than winter.

Weather

Nice weather is probably the best part of summer. The sun literally gives people vitamin D, which ultimately makes people happy! So soaking up some rays not only makes you look good, but can actually make you feel good too.

Beaches and pools

Picture yourself with a cold beer in your hand, eyes closed, and soaking in the rays of the sun. Lying on a beach towel in the sand or floating on crystal clear pool water is the most relaxing feeling in the world. This is another reason why summer is better than winter.

Fun summer jobs

Jobs can be awesome in the summer.  Some people bartend and lifeguard at the nearest beach or pool. Ever if it’s a boring desk job, you can still make some good money during the summer. Try looking for camp counseling, water park, retail, and amusement park jobs in the summer.

Clothes (or lack of clothes)

Say hello to sundresses and shorts, and goodbye to puffy coats and snow boots. One of the perks of nice weather is the clothes! This is the only time where bikini tops are acceptable as shirts and flip-flips are a necessity.

No school

For some students summer is a break from school! Say goodbye to textbooks and demanding teachers. Summer is a time with friends, fun, and relaxing.

No “winter blues”

Sometimes the winter just brings people down. The endless snowfall and cold weather can make staying positive a very hard task. Nobody wants to experience that feeling of never-ending winter.

Friends

Summer should be filled with friends. If you are going back home for the summer, it can be a great time to catch up with old friends. For the people who aren’t going anywhere, summer can be a time to do things you didn’t have time to do with your friends.

Summer nights

The sky is clear with sparkling stars and there’s a nice breeze in the warm air. Music is playing from the stereo, and people are laughing over drinks and a game of poker. Sounds like the perfect summer night, right? The slow-paced evenings in summer are so much fun. It’s hard to enjoy the outdoors during winter in 15 degree weather with snow blowing in your face.

Hopefully this little list helped you escape from the realities of this cold winter and jump into a dream of better, warmer, and relaxing summer days.