This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

This Thanksgiving (or friendsgiving!) capture the day with some perfect photos!

Here are some tips to make your Thanksgiving photos stand apart from the rest:

Capture the Cooking

Arrive early before the meal is ready to eat and take photos during food prep. Get grandma putting the turkey in the oven, mom chopping the vegetables, your little cousin sneaking frosting from desserts, or your dad napping on the couch in front of the football game. People always forget Thanksgiving is about being together, rather than the food itself so don’t go just for the finished product!

Food > Family

Or, if you’re more of foodie- focus on the food! Work with different angles and lighting, maybe play around with before and after the meal is prepped. Try arranging the different snack spreads put out before the meal in fun patterns and photograph that- to make your photo more stunning, try a mix of backdrops, such as changing up the tablecloth or using the solid wood texture of the table. Play around with the different home décor available, such as fake leaves or pumpkins (or real!), salt and pepper shakers, different silverware or cups. Try creating your own still life composition that will impress your friends.

Memorize the Moments

Is it time for that full family photo? Don’t forget to include yourself (and the family pet). Using a tripod, or a nearby stabilized surface such as a table/wall combo, and timer settings, you can make sure you capture everyone in the photo! DSLR users, don’t forget to bring your remote control and tripod to family events! I would also recommend, for indoor camera settings, a 200-400 ISO, a shutter speed between 100-150, and a lens that can capture a larger group at 35mm. A group photo is always asked for, so be prepared!

After the meal and the group shot, don’t stop taking photos! Continue to take photos of the festivities (or the football game), like the different games and conversations taking place. Best people to photograph? Little kids and teenage cousins. Little kids won’t mind the camera, and both their parents and your followers would love to see pics of those kids. Some teenagers will mind the camera, but who doesn’t want a killer photo of themselves in their cute Thanksgiving ‘fit?

Fall Photos to Freak Over

Don’t want to photograph dinner? That’s okay! Use this time to snag some of your cousins to pose as models for you while you experiment with the fall foliage. Some ways to make this season unique? Bring some props, such as an umbrella (fill with leaves and flip it) or a mirror (reflect all those fall colors). Don’t forget to wear fall colors, flannel patterns, and cute hats and gloves to complete your model’s ensemble. Have fun throwing leaves (the kids will love this one), laying in the leaves (teens will like this one for a more serious shot) or someone simply walking in the woods. Take advantage of the fall ‘scape and always try new camera angles and work the light!

I hope you got the perfect photo(s) for your social media while spending quality time with your family and friends!

photo 1, photo 2, photo 3, photo 4, photo 5, photo 6

Studying Graphic Design and Computer Science Catch me at the latest MARVEL film release BellaMarie Photography Nikon D7200 Articles on photography, art and DIY
Her Campus at SAU