This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Growing up I always had older people to look up to. I was an oldest child, and without a sibling to look up to, I looked up to my parents. As I grew older, I slowly decided that I want to become my own person, as one does in their teenage years. This meant that I didn’t have the role models that I did before. When I reached college, I made a group of friends who have become my role models.

Having peer role models is a new experience for me. On one hand, I am happy to have people to look up to, people that are a visual representation of the goals that I have for myself. On the other hand, these people are in pretty much the exact same place that I am, and I occasionally get on myself for not being there yet. I have to remind myself that we are all on our own journey.

For me, the strangest part about having peer role models is the duality of the mentorship. On one hand, my friends inspire me and push me to keep growing, both verbally and through example. However, they are also willing to call me out when I need it, letting me know where I ought to improve.

Overall, I am really glad to have peer role models. It is nice to have people to look up to, especially when they’re at a similar point of life to where I am. My friends are always there for me when I need them and they remind me to always strive to be a better person.

Charli is a writer at Her Campus at SAU. Beyond HC, Charli is involved in Honors, Women's soccer, choir, campus ministry, and Sisterhood of Bees. Charli is majoring in Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering. In her freetime, Charli enjoys crocheting, reading, listening to music, and spending time with friends. A fun fact about her is that she is originally from Kansas.