This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Dear dad, 

When you were diagnosed with cancer, our family was fearful. I would be lying If I told you I didn’t wonder if you would make it to my wedding or aarons graduation. We did not know how to respond. We felt like victims. However, today is a different story.

Since your diagnosis you did not complain. You did not talk about your pain. You are not defined by cancer. I think about how kind you are, how there isn’t a person that’s met you who wouldn’t agree with me. You have earned so much love and respect in our community. 

In case you haven’t already noticed, you’re my hero, my role model, my everything. I can’t imagine a life without you. Your strong-willed spirit, tough bravery, vigorous courage. All qualities I strive to have someday, all because of you. You work hard every single day even when you do not feel well just to take care of our family. You attempt to be the best you can and work as hard as possible just to help our family become even better. 

The battle you are about to begin today is huge. It’s bigger bigger than both of us. But your hope and determination can defeat it, you just have to keep fighting. Mom has been with you from the beginning, from the diagnosis, to all the doctor visits, to now. We all are standing behind you pushing you and encouraging you to fight. You can and you will win this battle even when it becomes so hard to bear. I know you can keep going. 

We both know the biggest thing you are concerned about is your hair. I want you to know and understand that Hair grows back. You don’t need to worry about your physical appearance, you are just as beautiful as you were before this battle began.I may be biased, but I do not believe that you need to worry about your appearance because the loss of hair or  any scars you gain along the way. The battle scars just continue to show how much of a warrior that you are. A physical reminder of how much you accomplished. Of how much you have overcame. 

Even when you become tired, weak, or incapable of getting out of bed, just remember you are stronger than any diagnosis. Cancer may take a lot from you, but I’ll tell you what it can’t do: it cannot shatter your hope, it cannot silence your courage, it cannot erase friendship,and it definitely cannot cripple our family. 

During Christmas the only thing I wanted to give you was a cure. I didn’t imagine it would be me who had a sick parent. I provide care for people whose parents are sick, but never did I think it would be me who needed people to care for you. Even though I am unable to provide a true gift of a cure, what I can give is my constant support, love, and adoration for such a beautiful, strong soul. 

Even if this battle has caused us so many sad memories over Christmas break, It has made us become closer as a family. I have never been this close to our family as we are now. I realized that life is short. Your diagnosis has made me understand just how short life is. It has made me realize how superficial things are that most teenagers worry about. It has matured me in ways to see life in a new perspective. 

Although I am about to go back to school, I want you to know that I will be cheering you on and by your side through this entire journey. I will be watching you succeed and beat this. I will watch you win this battle.

Forever and Always, 

Roonie

Sophomore at SAU with a passion for helping others. I am currently in pursuit of my RN, which will eventually open opportunities to reach out and better serve others. Besides writing, I enjoy going to the gym, hanging out with friends, and reading. I am also an ER tech! You can find me on instagram @amie1229!
Her Campus at SAU