Wellness > Mental Health

New Hobbies to Pick Up in 2024

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Happy New Year everyone! I hope that you all had a wonderful and safe holiday season. I know all too well that the holidays can be extremely stressful and with them all jammed into the end of the year it can cause a lot of stress and anxiety heading into the New Year. So I decided to compile a list of some of the best new hobbies to try in 2024 to give some well deserved “me time.”

The following list is a shortened version of one I found online (https://www.oberlo.com/blog/hobby-ideas).

1. Try your hand at blogging or journaling! Start a blog and write about the things that you experience or the things that you love! Do a fun bullet journal or hand write the same things you would blog about.

2. My personal favorite: Reading! Take the time to read things that bring you joy and allow you to escape from the trials and tribulations of the real world!

3. Learn a new language! I personally am trying to learn ASL. While learning a new language can be stressful, find the ways to make it easier and more fun for you!

4. Play an instrument! If you own an instrument then play it more! If you don’t maybe find a cheap one that you’ve always wanted to try and take it for a spin!

5. Crafting! From origami, to scrapbooks, to drawing, painting, sewing, crocheting, cross-stitching, the possibilities are endless! Find something that speaks to you!

6. Join a new fitness class! While this one sounds like more of a resolution, you can take up yoga or join a dance class. Find a way to stay fit in a way that speaks to you!

7. Try your hand at baking or cooking! This a super easy way to unwind. You get to follow a recipe, make your house smell AMAZING, and you get delicious treats and food to try! Sign me up!

8. Thrift! Whether that’s clothes or trinkets, find something to thrift and make it your own! You could keep it for yourself or even better—sell it! It’s a fun way to find something new to do and make some money on the side!

Whatever you end up doing in 2024, do it with all your heart! Find something that brings you joy, relaxation, and makes you feel like you! 2024 is the year of feeling more ourselves, so here’s to us!

Cassie is the Senior Editor at HC @SAU. She oversees the Editorial Team and helps out the writers. Beyond HC, Cassie is involved on campus. Phi Eta Sigma, Sigma Tau Delta, and student assisting on the softball team are some of the organizations/clubs she is involved in. She is also a substitute teacher. Cassie is majoring in English for Secondary Education (5-12) and has an endorsement in English as a Second Language (ESL for K-12). In her free time, Cassie likes to read, relax, watch TV/Movies, and spend time with her family and friends. A fun fact about Cassie is that she read the entire Harry Potter series when she was in 3rd grade, and has re-read it 4+ times.