Netflix Series that are Binge-Worthy AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

College students are no strangers to Netflix. We binge and binge… and did I already say binge? What’s worse, it’s classic to find us re-watching the same, beloved series on Netflix because we believe there’s nothing else worthy of our sacred procrastination time. While I’m all about Friends, Grey’s and Gossip Girl, it’s time to break up with these shows and see what else Netflix has to offer. Trust me, there are plenty of shows in this entertainment stream.

1. STRANGER THINGS

There’s so much hype about this Netflix Original series right now and the hype is 100% real. This thriller takes place in the early 80’s in Indiana, where a boy named Will goes missing. As the whole town tries to figure out where Will is, a ton of strange things begin to happen. And when you think it can’t get weirder, it does. *DUN DUN DUN* If you like mysteries, sci-fi, and spooky thrillers, this Netflix Original is right for you. Every episode will leave you clinging onto your sheets! Grab a friend, S/O, or pillow pet and binge away! You’ll thank me later.

2. UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT

When a Midwest girl is freed from an underground bunker after being trapped by a cult for 15 years, there’s no better way to experience life than moving to NYC. In this hysterical series, we get to see from the front row how a girl like Kimmy Schmidt adapts to our chaotic 21st century. It’s hilarious to watch this young adult have pure happiness in things we find completely mundane, like school and learning. Add Kimmy’s melodramatic roommate and you have a dynamic duo that’s going to bring you to joyous tears.

3. LIMITLESS

If you’re thinking of the movie with drug-induced Bradley Cooper, you’re on the right track. Limitless is an extension of the 2001 film where an illegal drug called NZT reigns supreme. This series is about a nobody, aka Bryan Finch, who gets swooped up by the FBI to take NZT, which helps him become a genius analyst. However, NZT has crazy, deadly side effects and  Bryan will do anything to stop it from killing him. With crime, sticky romances, and awesome comedic relief, this series definitely needs more attention!

4. HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER

Viola Davis should be enough of a reason to start this series, but if you’re not buying it then you clearly haven’t heard how dark and twisty this TV show is! Viola’s character, Annalise, is a badass lawyer and law professor running the show. Five students are selected to work with her on real-world lawsuits, but then somehow find themselves intertwined in their own twisted murder case. *cue jaw drop* Want to know how it all unfolds? Check it out and see for yourself.

5. NURSE JACKIE

You don’t have to be a nursing major to enjoy this comedy (but if you are one, you might find this Netflix series extra funny)! Nurse Jackie is an incredible ER nurse, but deals with an awful addiction to drugs – more specifically, vicodin and adderall. There’s something dramatic and strangely addicting about shows with hospitals and medical emergencies. Now add a pill poppin’ nurse and you’ve got the cherry on top! It’s a bonus that Nurse Jackie is also a hilarious liar and complete heart breaker. You won’t guess the kinds of situations this Emmy-winning character gets into!

Whether you’re taking a study break or truly putting pro in procrastination, these series are worth your time. Give even the pilot episode a try, your current Netflix favs will understand.

Christine La is a senior at St. Ambrose University where she is pursuing a major in Public Relations and minors in Marketing and Management. When she's not blogging, she can be found at a local coffee shop satisfying her caffeine addiction, binging Friends on Netflix, and daydreaming of travel adventures. You can follow her on Instagram @xo.chris.