This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Happy March everyone! In honor of Women’s History Month, I’d like to talk about Selena Gomez’s song called My Mind & Me. I would strongly recommend taking some time to listen to it. Selena expresses her feelings and mental health challenges she’s facing and is sharing this through her song. She states in her song, “If somebody sees me like this, then they won’t feel alone now.” This line is so powerful because she’s allowing us to see and hear her vulnerable self. Selena is someone others can look up to especially if they are facing similar challenges. Although it can be scary to ask for help or to see that there are others who are facing similar mental health challenges. You don’t have to suffer in silence! 

As Selena says,“… if I pull back the curtain, then maybe someone who’s hurtin’ – Will be a little more certain they’re not the only one lost.” Sometimes we don’t realize there are others out there who are sharing similar experiences and people who care, love, and want to help you get through difficult times. Selena is “putting herself out there” and letting the world know it’s okay to not be okay, and although it may seem as a constant battle within yourself, your mind, your body…You are important and you are worth it! 

Not only is her song a beautiful piece, but there is a documentary called, “Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me (2022).” Selena Gomez is a strong woman who has overcome many challenges mentally and physically throughout her life. I hope her song and documentary can give you and others a sense of hope, peace, and relief. Please remember, you are strong! You are not a burden, you are loved, you and your mental health are a priority!

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to others and resources if needed. “If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health or substance use problem, there are several resources available to find out more information or get connected with help. Check out some mental health resources at this link: https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/mental-health-resources/

If you or someone you know is in crisis, contact the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or dial 911 in case of emergency.

“Being strong doesn’t mean that you can handle every difficult situation on your own, it means that you have the sense to ask God and others for help” -Nishan Panwar