This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Since transfering to a new school and the added stress of dealing with COVID-19, I don’t think I’ve ever felt this overwhelmed and I think that a lot of people can relate with that. When school started I promised myself that I would make my mental health a priority. To do so, I came up with some stress relievers that have been super beneficial to my mental health. Here are my favorite ways to destress and hopefully they can help one of you!

1. Playing with my puppy

In March I decided to adopt a new puppy and since then he has been my best buddy. I swear it’s like he knows when I’m getting overwhelmed and need a break from school. Playing or taking him on a walk for about an hour makes the both of us happy and helps me refocus when I get back to my homework. 

smiling puppy in dog bed by jamie street
Photo by Jamie Street from Unsplash

2. Working out

Working out is definitely one of my favorite ways to destress, especially when my coach programs a workout with all of my favorite movements for the day. The coaching staff at my gym has also been extremely supportive and always checks in on me if I haven’t been to the gym in a few days.

Woman doing yoga
Photo by Cathy Pham from Unsplash

3. Never studying or doing homework past 9:30pm

I made a goal for myself to stop studying or doing homework before 9:30 so that I don’t find myself overdoing it and becoming overwhelmed. This has also helped me stay on track while doing homework and keeps me from taking a bunch of breaks. Stopping before 9:30 has also helped me clear my mind before I go to bed.

person using laptop at a desk
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash

4. Taking at least one day a week to fully relax

Every week I plan at the very least one day to relax and do the things that I enjoy. On this day, I usually go get myself a good lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, treat myself to coffee, schedule an eyebrow appointment, spend time with my puppy and boyfriend, or do some light shopping.

Pexels, HC UCLA

Hi I'm Anitza! Nursing major here at SAU. When I'm not studying you can catch me working out or chasing after my pup. Pasta enthusiast. Instagram: @anitzaalvarado
Her Campus at SAU