My Favorite Romance Manga, Just in Time for Valentine’s Day

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I am an avid manga binge reader and have read quite a few romance manga in my time (it’s my favorite genre to read). I personally like to consider myself somewhat an expert in this field, so what better than to share some of my favorite romance manga just in time to celebrate Valentine’s Day. 

Warning: these series will have you giggling and kicking your feet and will most definitely raise your standards. 

With that being said… let’s get into the list!

A Sign of Affection (Yubisaki to Renren) by suu Morishita

“Yuki Itose is a hearing-impaired university student whose world has been shrouded with silence since birth. She has lived in the same place her whole life, and rarely interacts with others save for her best friend, Rin Fujishiro. During her commute one day, she meets the silver-haired multilingual Itsuomi Nagi, a mutual friend of Rin. Unlike most, Itsuomi is unwavering when he learns of Yuki’s impairment; this, along with his experiences abroad, fascinates and touches her. After they part, her fondness of him starts to grow. A new world begins to open for both Yuki and Itsuomi as they learn about each other’s different lives.” (MyAnimeList).

I don’t think I will ever stop raving about this series. Anyone who knows me in person will know that this is one of my favorite series I have ever read. This series is super heartwarming and is such a good example of disability representation that is done well. The author doesn’t show Yuki’s deafness as a weakness. It is very much a part of her but it’s not the only thing about her. She isn’t defined by her disability. As for the pacing of the series, it is most definitely not a slow burn. But, if you are someone who doesn’t want to read a lot before getting to established dating content, then this series is definitely for you. Almost all of the side characters are really likeable and you find yourself getting to know them alongside Yuki and Itsuomi. This manga is currently still ongoing so new chapters are still being released. An added bonus, an anime adaptation of this series is currently airing on Crunchyroll if you would rather watch than read. 

Snow White with the Red Hair (Akagami no Shirayuki-hime) by Sorata Akizuki

“Shirayuki is Tanbarun’s friendly neighborhood herbalist, whose unique red hair ends up drawing unwanted attention from the vain prince of Tanbarun, Raji Shenazard. Faced with the unattractive proposition to become his concubine, Shirayuki chops off her hair and flees the country overnight. In her journey deep into the forest, she encounters Zen Wistalia, the prince of the neighboring country of Clarines. When Zen takes a bite out of a poisoned apple that Prince Raji sends in order to recapture Shirayuki, she expertly uses the herbs at her disposal to cure him.

Together with Zen and his two friends, Kiki and Mitsuhide, Shirayuki travels to Clarines, where she aims to make a life for herself as an apothecary of the royal court. As Zen slowly begins to mean more to her than the prince of her new country, the two of them must learn to work together toward their respective dreams despite the difference in status.” (MyAnimeList). 

Did you grow up watching Disney fairytales and have always dreamed of having your own fairytale romance? Do you also love found family? Then this will be right up your alley. Snow White with the Red Hair is one of the best prince and commoner dynamics that I have personally ever seen. Both Zen and Shirayuki are stubborn and driven and sometimes don’t like asking for help. Throughout the series you get to see them grow closer and also learn to lean on each other while also using their own power to accomplish their goals. All of the supporting characters are just as lovable as the main characters. There is romance, adventure, and so much sweetness you might get cavities. 

Kimi Ni Todoke: From Me to You (Kimi Ni Todoke) by Karuho Shiina

“Sawako Kuronoma is a 15-year-old student often mistaken for the horrific, vengeful spirit Sadako Yamamura from The Ring. The uncanny resemblance leads Sawako being called ‘Sadako’ instead. Due to her aloof and gloomy appearance, her peers have grown afraid, and they keep their distance from her. But despite such treatment, she harbors an innocent and diligent heart. 

Given her honest desire to make friends, Sawako holds a profound admiration for Shouta Kazehaya, the most popular boy in her class. Through his refreshing personality and smooth interpersonal interactions, Kazehaya naturally draws in people. Wishing to be more like him, Sawako begins to spend more time with Kazehaya. While attempting to turn over a new leaf, Sawako finds herself encouraged to explore new things that she never dared before, with Kazehaya right beside her.” (MyAnimeList). 

Two words: Slow. Burn. I would almost call this story one about redemption (that might not be the right word, but oh well). It’s the story of Sawako, who goes from being an outsider to a core part in her class. Kazehaya is the greenest flag character that I have ever met. He is always reaching out a hand to Sawako and helping her out of her shell. He helps her take the first step and from there she makes, quite frankly, one of the best best groups of friends that I have ever seen in media. It’s a beautiful story of growing up and finding what you want to do after high school and all the complexities that come with leaving high school and going out into the world. Also, as a little bonus, this series has been adapted into two seasons of an anime. A season three was announced after almost 10 years and should be airing within the next few months. 

A Condition Called Love (Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai) by Megumi Morino

“Hotaru Hinase is a first-year high school student who treasures her family and friends above all else. Unable to understand romance, she decides she will be content living without the experience of falling in love.

While Hotaru is spending time at a cafe with her close friend, she witnesses the relentless breakup of a handsome honor student, Hananoi. Encountering him sitting alone in the snow on her way home, she extends her umbrella to him in a gesture of kindness. 

The very next day, Hananoi appears in Hotaru’s classroom, asking her to be his girlfriend. Despite being rejected, Hananoi sticks closely by Hotaru’s side, performing selfless acts in hopes of pleasing her. Hotaru begins to feel emotions she had never felt before. Believing that these emotions could blossom into love, Hotaru agrees to date Hananoi.” (MyAnimeList). 

This is the perfect story of people learning what it means to love another person. Hotaru is like a lot of people I know; they don’t think that they’ll ever fall in love. On the other hand, Hananoi thinks that he knows what love is and what it’s supposed to be. This series shows how they grow in their relationship together from step one and they learn what it means to learn to trust and open up to and love another person. It’s a very lighthearted story and has themes that everyone can learn from. Also, an added bonus is that an anime adaptation of this series is releasing in the spring. What better time to read this series than to get ready for the anime?

Love, That’s an Understatement (Hikaeme ni Ittemo, Kore wa Ai) by Momo Fuji

“Risa Amakawa is only in high school, but she is extraordinarily self-sufficient. With the tools inside her seemingly bottomless bag, she is prepared for any freak incident that lady luck chooses to throw her way. So when Risa encounters a delinquent–all battered and bruised–on a rainy afternoon, she takes advantage of the power bestowed upon her by her own sense of caution and uses it to help him. What she does not expect is the victim, Zen Oohira, to take a liking to her.

Zen checks all the boxes of a typical delinquent; he has an air of nonchalance about him and even owns a motorcycle. Even so, he is oddly cheerful and sweet, going so far as to give Risa a ‘help coupon’ as thanks for her aid in his time of need. When an unforeseen episode forces Risa to redeem her coupon, she realizes that Zen can be far more charming than he lets on. But is she prepared to sacrifice her meticulousness for a carefree gamble on romance?” (MyAnimeList). 

Are you a fan of delinquent and smart girl relationships? Then this is for you. Who would have thought that the simple act of reaching out a hand to someone in need would lead to you falling in love? Both Risa and Zen’s kindness shows through their actions as they get to know each other and help each other out in their own ways. Zen somehow always has the best timing and shows up when Risa is in need and she in turn helps out him and his friends who are on the verge of repeating a grade. It’s the perfect story of “appearances aren’t always what they seem” in a very quick growing but sweet relationship. 

Ran the Peerless Beauty (Takane no Ran-san) by Ammitsu

“Ran Takamine is beautiful, intelligent, and athletically proficient. Her near-perfect demeanor causes her classmates to deem her difficult to approach, often comparing her to a flower blooming high atop a mountain. However, an encounter with the blissfully carefree Akira Saeki surprises yet comforts her. After all, not all people are afraid of her.

When Ran’s mother requests her to visit Soleil, a small but elegant flower shop across town, she never expects to run into Akira again. As it turns out, his family owns Soleil and he helps around the store. But this fact embarasses him so much that he urges Ran to keep it a secret. Enraptured by their incidental meeting, Ran continues to notice Akira at school to the point where she can no longer brush off her thoughts about him. As days turn into weeks, Ran beings to wonder which warms her heart more–the exotic blossoms at Soleil, or the boy who can speak the language of flowers” (MyAnimeList). 

Golden retriever boy and seemingly perfect female lead, what more could you need? By the end of the series it seems that Ran and Akira were destined to find each other. Akira helps to make Ran more approachable as she gains new relationships and friends as their relationship continues to grow. The green flags in this series will continue to pop up like flowers growing in a field as you watch relationships blossom and maybe even learn a thing or two about the meaning of flowers. (Sorry about all the flower puns, I couldn’t help it). 

In The Clear Moonlit Dusk (Uruwashi no Yoi no Tsuki) by Mika Yamamori

“Every time Yoi Takiguchi so much as lets out a sigh, her female classmates squeal in admiration and awe. She has been dubbed the school’s ‘prince’ by virtue of her boyishly attractive appearance and casual disposition. However, she chooses to be indifferent toward the attention she receives and spends her days normally–that is, until the school’s other prince, Kohaku Ichimura, waltzes into her life and calls her beautiful.

Kohaku is nothing like a prince–he acts thoughtlessly and does as he pleases. But when he compliments her, Yoi feels flustered, and the way he looks at her gets her all nervous. He is the first boy to acknowledge her as a girl, and her attempts to distance herself prove futile as he seems to have his sights set on her. While Yoi keeps telling herself that it is nothing serious, even she cannot completely ignore the stir Kohaku causes in her heart.” (MyAnimeList).

This series is for all the girlies who have never been shown romantic interest and are now having to cope with all the feelings and confusion that comes along with it. In The Clear Moonlit Dusk is a wonderful coming of age story that shows the complexities of trying to decipher feelings that you’ve never felt before. It’s also a story about self discovery and finding out sides of you that you never knew existed. Kohaku and Yoi are the perfect duo as he does his best to bring her out of her shell and show her that she can be a girl, and not the ‘prince’ that everyone sees her as.

Madeline is a VP and Creative Director at HC @ SAU. She oversees social media posting on all platforms. Beyond HC, Madeline is involved in Chemistry Club and the Women's Swimming and Dive Team. She also works in the Chemistry Department as a Lab Prep worker. Madeline is majoring in Chemistry with a minor in Mathematics. In her free time, Madeline enjoys crocheting, reading, streaming on Twitch, learning languages, and writing and playing songs. Fun fact: she would be 3/4 of an inch taller if she didn't have scoliosis. "Find inspiration in the ordinary."