Popcorn Popcorn
Popcorn Popcorn
Sara Carte / Spoon

My Dorm Food Must Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I am a huge snacker. Especially when I’m stuck in my room working on homework. Or what if you get hungry and need a midnight snack? I have definitely been there. So here is my list of must have foods in your dorm room.

• Goldfish or Cheez-its. Or really any other kind of salty food. They’re good to snack on and are easy to eat in between taking notes, doing homework, or reading you textbooks
  • Chips and dip. This is kind of in the same vain as the point above but adding dip with your chips is going to make it a little bit more filling. Plus it’s also a good way to add more flavor to a plain tortilla chip
  • Candy or cookies. I personally have a really big sweet tooth so keeping candy or cookies in my room is almost a necessity. The candy is good to snack on if you need something sweet (in moderation of course) and cookies are good things to eat after finishing an assignment as a way to reward yourself for being productive. (Or at least that’s the way I see it).
  • Bread and Peanut Butter. This is less of a snack and more if you want something closer to a meal. It’s always good to have things to make a sandwich on hand because you never know when you might need it.
    • If you want something more snack-ish, you can swap out the bread for graham crackers
  • Ramen. I wouldn’t be a college kid talking about food if I didn’t mention ramen. It’s really cheap for those of us who are low key broke. Plus it’s a quick meal you can make in a microwave and it’s versatile. You can add things to it to make it more filling or, my personal favorite, just eat it plain.
  • Frozen Pizzas. Now, I know not everyone might have access to an oven in their room and that is perfectly fine. My favorite thing to do is buy mini frozen pizzas and heat them up in the microwave. They’re really good to help overcome a pizza craving and they are a good quick meal.
  • Caprisun. You read that correctly. In my experience, nothing makes college kids happier than being offered a juice pouch. They’re really good if you often crave sweet, fruity drinks. Plus they can give you a quick boost of sugar if you’re struggling to finish an assignment. I personally, have an entire fridge in my shelf dedicated to Caprisun, but that might be a little extreme.

These are just some of my personal favorite foods, snacks, and drinks to have on hand. I think it’s a good starting point but obviously you can add things or switch things up. In my opinion, everyone needs a staple food to keep in their room as a pick me up or extra motivation.

Madeline is a VP and Creative Director at HC @ SAU. She oversees social media posting on all platforms. Beyond HC, Madeline is involved in Chemistry Club and the Women's Swimming and Dive Team. She also works in the Chemistry Department as a Lab Prep worker. Madeline is majoring in Chemistry with a minor in Mathematics. In her free time, Madeline enjoys crocheting, reading, streaming on Twitch, learning languages, and writing and playing songs. Fun fact: she would be 3/4 of an inch taller if she didn't have scoliosis. "Find inspiration in the ordinary."