This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Here are some fun facts

• 1 in 5 U.S. adults experience mental illness each year
  • 1 in 20 U.S. adults experience serious mental illness each year
  • 1 in 6 U.S. youth aged 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year
  • 50% of all lifetime mental illness begins by age 14, and 75% by age 24
  • Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 10-14 

There are 1,714 female students at St Ambrose and 1,199 male students. Looking at the fun facts, that means out of the students that identify as female, over 300 of them have symptoms of depression. Out of the male students, over 200 are depressed; look at the stats, and do the math. Overall that’s a lot of depression. A survey, “Preparing for College: The Mental Health Gap,” includes more than 500 healthcare professionals, 700 parents and guardians of high school students planning to attend college or another post-secondary school, and students already in their first year.

Among healthcare professionals surveyed, a substantial majority said they had seen more mental health issues among teens in the past five years:

• 86% said the teens had had more anxiety and stress.
  • 81% saw more anxiety disorders.
  • 70% reported seeing more mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder.

So, get yourself together and see a doctor. If you have symptoms of depression, it is serious, and if you don’t have a good support group, it will be even more of a struggle. I wish you luck during finals and stay safe. Rember to eat, bathe, and change your clothes even if you have nothing to do. Brush your teeth, and overall, stay safe. 

Here are my websites used:

Saint Ambrose University Student Population and Demographics (univstats.com)

Mental Health Issues Overlooked in College Transition (webmd.com)

College students and depression – Mayo Clinic Health System

Mental Health By the Numbers | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

Hello! I like oversized clothes and cats! I hope we all will get along, and now I am working on reaching the required mean of 50 characters. I am not in a lot of clubs; I was in the chess club last time I looked.