Mary Madormo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.
If you’ve ever wondered how Her Campus got started here at St. Ambrose, you’re about to find out! This week’s profile is all about alum and founder of HC SAU, Mary Madormo!

Graduation year: 2013
Degree: English and Journalism
Hometown: Naperville, IL
Current location: Los Angeles, CA
Current job: Human Resources at a super cool television network

How did you first hear about Her Campus?
I first heard about Her Campus while studying abroad in London my sophomore year. One girl in my program had started her chapter at College of William and Mary. I loved the idea of a digital magazine focused on college girls and decided to look into it the following semester.

What made you want to start a chapter at Ambrose?
We’ve always had amazing publications at St. Ambrose, but I thought Her Campus was unique and targeted a specific audience. I had always loved to write and thought this would be a great challenge and opportunity. I brought up the idea with my roommates and received good feedback and support, so I went for it! 

Were there any professors/peers that played a major role in helping you launch our chapter?
Absolutely. Ann Preston was a HUGE help with launching the chapter. She gave me a lot of great advice and was there every step of the way. My roommate Sarah Vogel was so wonderful too. She supported me from day one and also wrote articles and helped with events for the next two years. 

What was your favorite part about being involved in Her Campus?
My absolute favorite part was working with the other girls on the HC SAU team! When this all first started I had no idea who would be interested in helping out and just hoped we would find a few students. The girls who ended up joining were so amazing and brought such good ideas to the table of how we could make the publication better.

How did being a Campus Correspondent help improve your professional skills?
Being a Campus Correspondent helped in so many ways. I honestly think working with Her Campus is what helped me most with finding a job after college. I was continuing to enhance my writing and editing skills, but it went beyond that. The team and I had to be marketers- finding the best way to convince our fellow students to read and even to join our team. Time management was also huge. We all had our day-to-day classes and activities and needed to find a way to also juggle completing our Her Campus articles each week.

What was your favorite part or memory from Ambrose?
My favorite memory from Ambrose was really any time my roommates and I were hanging out together in our Hagen apartment. They are some of my favorite people in the world.

What’s one thing you think all graduating seniors should do before May?
I think it’s important to have a plan for what’s to come after May, but I think it’s also hugely important to just savor this last month at Ambrose. College is such an important part of life and it goes by way too fast. It’s easy to get caught up on “what’s next” and feel that pressure, but you have your whole life to plan all of those next steps. 

If there’s a drink that describes you, what is it and why?
A mojito, because it’s sophisticated but still has lots of flavor.

If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would it be and why?
Ireland, in a heartbeat. I would move there if it wasn’t so far from family and friends. I love the history, the endless greenery, and the people there are so friendly. Either there or Whitey’s! Thinking about Ambrose this much is making me crave that ice cream right now.

Why do you think students should get involved with Her Campus?
Her Campus is a great opportunity for really any student. Whether you are a writer and want a creative outlet, or maybe someone who has never considered himself/herself a writer, but has a passion for a certain topic, Her Campus is a great place to learn and share those skills and passions. 
Hey there, I'm Lindsey! I'm obsessed with teacup pigs, I'm the queen of thrift shopping, and sometimes people call me Loinsberry.