A Letter to my Freshman Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Dear freshman me,

Happy homecoming weekend! I hope you’re not too stressed yet. The first weeks of college are scary and overwhelming. I get it. Much like you’ll see at the game, so many alumni come back to Ambrose each year. This place is about to become your home, just like it did for them. These next four years are all going to become what you make of it, so keep this in mind:

Remember that girl you met in the Class of 2016 Facebook group? Yeah, living in Davis might not be ideal, but she’s going to be your best friend.  When you and your boyfriend of four years breakup after sophomore year she’ll be there. She’ll be there to put you to bed the first time you get college-freshman wasted. She’ll also be there for all the good moments: the times you laugh, cry, and lay in bed together to just rant about life.  Take advantage of every moment you have with her. Hug her mom and dad when you tailgate with them before the game – they’ll become another set of parents to you.

Speaking of parents, call your mom. She’s probably blowing up your phone already. It gets annoying sometimes, but you’re going to need her. When you get your first big leadership position on campus and can’t tell anyone yet, you’ll want to call her. There’s going to be some moments where you want to punch yourself for not going to school far away. I guarantee you’ll change your mind when it’s midnight and you’re emotions are overflowing. Mom will meet you at Village Inn and fix it with some pumpkin pie.

Of course each time you talk to her she’s going to want an update on your future plans. Here’s a tip: don’t make them. Nothing is concrete in your first year. Remember when you thought you wanted to work in business and graphic design? LOL. You also think you want to do physical therapy. LAWLZ. Don’t plan out all of college right now. Go with the flow. Spend time with friends. Don’t spread yourself too thin. But most importantly: find your passion.

Your passion will hit you straight in the face. But sometimes some won’t be so obvious. My advice? Get involved with everything right away. Join clubs like crazy. When you find out it doesn’t fit – leave. You can’t do everything. But let yourself fall in love with something you care about.

For you, it will be Dance Marathon. By this time senior year it will be the only thing you want to talk about. Your eyes will open and you’ll realize that you were meant to be a physician. The leadership team you work with will become your family. Your life will change… for the better. Some of your friends won’t be into the same things as you, and that’s okay. That’s what college is all about: finding what makes you, you.

Here we are. It’s senior year.  I have my best friend at my side.  I talk to my mom more than anyone else.  I thought I had my life planned out, and now I’m going in a completely different direction. I found my niche on campus, and subsequently my passion in life.

So this weekend put your best foot forward. Soon enough you’re going to be a senior experiencing your last homecoming, eating treats at the Taste of Ambrose for the last time as a student. The alumni will be more recognizable than the current students. In your senior year, you’ll be reflecting back on your last three years as a bee – make sure it’s worth remembering.

Besides, you can only get away with wearing alcohol-themed bee pun shirts for so long.

Love,

Your Senior Self

Photo courtesy of St. Ambrose University Facebook page.

Hello friends, I'm Shelby!I'm that girl on campus that's always wearing dance marathon shirts and napping where I shouldn't be. Did I mention I hate Comic Sans?
Her Campus at SAU