A Letter to Me at 16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Dear Mary,

So here I am, being 20 years old and a sophomore in college. I decided to write a letter saying that things are fantastic. Your life fell right into place. They are some-what close to where you wanted it to be four years ago. Although you are still very young, there are many things that will come your way causing obstacles in your life. You will make mistakes, but you will learn. You will have amazing friendships and you will grow. You will love someone and you will become stronger.

First off, being 16 is one of the best ages of your life. Driving Dad’s car or Mom’s van is a privilege, not a right. Anytime you go anywhere, just tell them where you’re going. Be honest. Mom worries you’re going to drive the car into a ditch; Dad worries that you and your friends will blow his speakers. Just remember to respect them. They love unconditionally.

Things with Dad will get exceptionally well. As you grow older, you will understand how some things turn out the way they do in life. Things will turn out for the better. Lay your troubles in God’s hand and the rest is up to him. Continue to show acts of compassion, kindness and love.

As you are growing into a young woman in high school, some things will change. You will decide what kind of people you want to surround yourself with. Sometimes people won’t be nice to you, but remember that your friends will support you and continue to cherish your friendship. With that, the people that will be your friends continue to be your friends to this day.

My friend Mary Kate and I when we were 16 years old, then 20 years old.                 

Don’t ever fear new experiences. In the next few years, opportunities will come into your path and you better reach out and grab them. Those opportunities will change your life. You will meet wonderful people that you will remember the rest of your life. Listen to your teachers, parents and elders. Everything you want to do in your life, they have all done it. Learn from their mistakes because they know what is best for you.

People will come into your life, and they might leave. “When one door closes, another one opens,” remember this through the next four years of your life. Four years later, I continue to tell myself this because everything happens for a reason. Remember that your family will always be there. As you get older, your relationships with your brothers will grow more into friendships. That bond will never be broken.  They love you and will always do anything for you. If they are lecturing you on your decision-making, take the advice; most likely they will be right in the end.

Now, here is some advice for you. Remember that no matter whatever happens, either your 16 or 20, you are loved. Before you were 16, you decided to be someone who impacts people’s lives. Your kindness to others will be greatly appreciated. Your love for others will be gratitude for others. Continue to mature in a young woman. Be kind, be loyal and be forgiving. Be the best version of yourself. Studying and staying involved will pay off. Show others what your fun and energetic personality can give to them. Be yourself, be Mary. 

Hi readers! My name is Mary Blesz! I am a sophomore at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa. I am double majoring in Marketing and Management, with minors in Public Relations and Organizational Leadership! I am involved with Residence Life on campus, and also cannot wait to help with St. Ambrose's Dance Marathon! Helping out the kids is such a fulfilling thing I have done in the past and can't wait to see where this goes! FTK (For the Kids!)When I am not busy with the mountian full of homework I always have, I will normally be seen with all my friends! My friends are great group of people that I have met here at Ambrose! College has opened my eyes to so many new people! It is kind of interesting to me to meet people from all over; like Chicago (lots of my friends are from the area) and even people who loved in the same hometown!!!I have a huge "passion for fashion." I love to see what is most popular, and incorporate the latest trends within my own style. My style has a mixture of what my mood of the day is! One day I can pull out the high-waisted shorts and the crop top and flaunt my ombre hair, and then another day, wear the classic peplum top, with my hair pulled into a fashionable bun! I love reading about the latest trends and expressing it through my own personal style! I hope you enjoy what I can share with you through my own experiences and stories! Enjoy!!!!
Her Campus at SAU