Joseph McCaffrey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Dr. McCaffrey is more than just a philosophy professor at St. Ambrose. Joe McCaffrey is a world-travelor, published author, veteran marathon runner.

What’s your educational background?

I received my PhD from the University of St. Thomas Aquinas (‘Angelicum’) in Rome, Italy; my MA and Licentiate in Philosophy from Aquinas Institute of Philosophy in River Forest, Ill.; my Master’s in Rehabilitation Counseling from the University of Iowa; and my BA, PhB in Philosophy from the Aquinas Institute of Philosophy in River Forest, Ill. 

How long have you taught at St. Ambrose University?

I am the most senior faculty member on campus, as I have taught here for 51 years.

What is your favorite class to teach and why?

History of Ancient Philosophy or History of Medieval/Renaissance Philosophy – When I look back at my education, all my great teachers were historians of philosophy. Their enthusiasm for the subject really inspired me to teach and appreciate the history. Now when I travel, these subjects tie into every place I visit. I hope to influence others as my teachers had.

Describe your favorite college memory as an undergrad.

When I was 20 years old, I lived in a major seminary environment. It was very structured and we would pray up to 8 hours a day. The seminary was connected to St Joseph’s church. A farm family would come every Sunday for mass, and they had five knock-out daughters, just brutal to look at. While praying, we were to never look. I remember I would glance at the daughters every so often, and the Novice master (my superior) saw me. The Novice master called me out for staring at the beautiful daughters. He reminded me, “Brother, we expect you have to have custody of the eyes.” Now, I give my students this advice when during tests.

You love to travel… Where is your favorite place you have visited and why?

Palmyra, Syria – I once experienced watching a sunset over the desert kingdom. It was truly the most beautiful and magnificent sight. Isis, where it is unfortunately being bombed and terrorized, now occupies Palmyra. It breaks my heart. I will never be able to experience that moment in life again.

Where do you want to travel next? Iraq

If you had to eat one food and drink one beverage for the rest of your life, what would those be?

Food: Spaghetti Carbonara

Beverage: Coffee

What’s your guilty pleasure? 

Coffee and the NY Times in the mornings. It overrules everything else. I’ll give any excuse to keep this time to myself. I’m not a morning person so this is serious stuff.

If you were an Oreo, which flavor would you be? Butter Pecan

You also run, I hear. Marathons nonetheless… What marathon was your favorite to run?

I have accomplished 51 full marathons and 25 half marathons. My favorite would be the time I ran in Chicago because it’s the fastest I have ever run without getting hurt, with 10 minute miles.

What’s one thing most students don’t know about you?

I have a non-fiction novel I’ve been working on for 20 years about Gibbs Toy Company, located in Canton, OH. This company was always 20 years behind the contemporary times. Their own inability to adapt and project themselves into the future led to their downfall. I will never finish it because I am still fact-finding.

So you are a published author… what are your novels about?

I just finished my 10th novel. I was once approached to be a private investigator, but declined. It intrigued me to think about my life if I had taken that job, so my novels portray my life if I were a PI.

Which novel is most important to you in your writing career?

Pony Circus Wagon. It has a reference to Gibbs Toy Company.

What do you do when you have writer’s block? This tip will come in handy for us students.

Just let it go and walk away. Don’t fight through it; if you do, your work is usually not any good. Come back at it at the right time and rid yourself of distractions when that moment comes.

You have lived an incredible life. Please offer us some words of wisdom.

Take risks. A lot of people play conservative games. If any opportunity appears before you, take it. Take a chance on chance. Make the things you do adventurous. Make your life a true adventure.

All Photos Courtesy of Joseph McCaffrey

Her Campus at SAU