It’s Been a Beautiful Journey: One HC SAU writer’s Graduation Goodbye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I thought sitting down and writing about my experience at St. Ambrose would be a piece of cake and easy enough. It wasn’t until I sat down and started that I realized how every little aspect that I’ve gone through the past three and a half years have led to an enormous amount of memories. So, where to begin?

I’ll start with things I’ll miss most – which is actually an extensive list, but I’ll just name a few:

1. My friends 

I can’t even begin to tell you the impact that my college friends have had on me. I’ve spent numerous nights laughing, joking, and crying with these girls. I’ll never forget the endless movie nights, the crazy shenanigans on the weekends, and the stressful late night studying sessions – all with the best of friends any girl could ask for.

2. My teammates 

There is no way I can explain with just this short article how amazing all my teammates are. Going to practice – no matter how much I dreaded the work outs – was always a joy when I got there and had pre-practice talks and warm ups. My teammates helped me through so many tough times, whether it was a mental break down or a physical break down, and they were always there to share in the good times and the victories. #GoBees.

3.  The Ambrose community

Honestly, I couldn’t have picked a better university to go to. I came in as a shy, nervous freshman and every experience I’ve had over my time at SAU has formed me to be the person I am today. Thanks to all my professors, the psychology department, the sociology department, the women’s studies department, the study abroad office, all those I worked with at the Women’s Studies Resource Center, coaches and trainers, and all SAU staff and faculty. Seriously, everyone is amazing!

4.  Her Campus SAU, of course!

If you’ve ever had a desire to write – you should join Her Campus SAU. I met some of the greatest girls through Her Campus and enjoyed every single minute of it!

I’m so lucky to have been able to study abroad my final semester at Ambrose – and I’m incredibly thankful to all those at the study abroad office, my advisors, and my family and friends – all who made it possible. I’ve learned so much on my journey – from how to immerse yourself in a completely different culture (after expecting it to not be so different from home) to learning who I am as a person and how much my family, friends and home mean to me. I guess this is what college is about!

My mother was right when she told me that college would be the best time of my life. It was – and I’ll never forget all those that were a part of this beautiful journey. 

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!