Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Chips
Christin Urso / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Now that chocolate is on sale from Valentine’s Day, it’s time to raid the shelves and stock up for the rest of the semester! My personal favorite that my friend, and fellow HerCampus writer Alissa Deshane, got me hooked on about a year ago is Dove chocolates. She always had a little box of them in her room to offer every time I walked in to visit. It became such a habit to get that sweet treat that it was something I really looked forward to. In addition to that delicious and savory taste, is an inspirational message that always left me with a smile on my face. This chocolate does wonders from the inside out and I’d like to share some of my favorite quotes with you all!

“Do something spontaneous”

You may have heard the expression “you only live once” or “YOLO” before. Well, this is along the same track. Sometimes, we live our lives too scheduled, forget to take risks or even forget to do something just for the heck of it. Challenging yourself to go for those random moments with friends is both healthy and satisfying in the long run. We tend to regret the chances we don’t take, so why not make life a little more exciting!

“You go, girl! You deserve this!”

Never be ashamed to give yourself a good boost and be your biggest cheerleader! Everyone has to believe they can be and do anything; it’s all part of loving yourself. Once you bee-lieve, you can achieve!

“Remember the simple pleasures in life”

I always say, “Enjoy the little things in life.” These simple pleasures and little details are constantly surrounding us and waiting to be seen and appreciated. Once you take that extra second to feel blessed for one of God’s little wonders, you will feel a new sense of happiness and gratitude that will immediately brighten your day!

“Calories only exist if you count them”

Every once in a while, you really need to treat yourself! I am a huge calorie counter, but there are days that I let the extra cookie from the caf or slice of pizza in my dorm slide. We can’t live our lives regulated 24/7. We have to leave room in there to just enjoy ourselves and have a good time!

“It’s okay to slow down”

Okay, this one is semi-targeted at myself. Anyone who knows me knows that my planner is full back to back with all the different things I like to do. Some of the best advice I get from people is just to slow down and put a little “me time” in there. Life goes by in the blink of an eye, so in order to live life to the fullest, we have to slow down enough to really enjoy and be 100% for all the amazing memories that are in store for us!

“Smile! Today is going to be an amazing day”

There’s always a reason to smile – even if it is just a cheesy dad joke! We always need to do our best to make the most of everyday because every new day is a new cherished blessing full of new memories to look back and smile upon!

“Never give up. Tomorrow will be better!”

Life can sure throw a good curveball every once in a while and it can really put a damper on things. It may take days, weeks or even months, but eventually you will be able to turn that frown upside down, overcome your obstacles, and reach your goals. Kelly Clarkson said it best, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger!”

“Don’t settle for a spark… light a fire instead”

You deserve the absolute best in life and should never settle for less than what makes you happy! This could be the people you surround yourself with, the career of your choice and any other goals you set for yourself. “Set the bar high, and when you reach it, push it higher.” You are capable of so much more than a simple spark, so why not reach your most awesome capabilities and light that fire. Remember to, “Never let anyone dull your sparkle!”

“Quote your dad”

This one cracks me up, 1) because it seems so random for chocolate wrappers and 2) because it is actually so relevant and we don’t always think about it. This goes for our moms too! Our parents are full of good advice that we brush off on a regular basis and sometimes takes years to fully appreciate what they told us when we were 10 years old. Eventually, you might find yourself being the “mom” of the group!

“When life isn’t going right, go left”

Life is hard and we all catch our fair share of the blows, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some other paths available to us. If one way doesn’t work, try another! It’s also okay to be different and do what you know is right, or left. “Every journey begins with a single step,” so make that move and get started down your adventure of life!

“Leave your phone behind”

Our generation is so tightly connected to electronics that we tend to miss things that are right under our noses. In turn, we tend to not give the people we are with our full attention because we are thinking about who might be texting us or if someone is posting something new on Instagram that we might be missing out on. F.O.M.O. (fear of missing out) is a real thing, but we should be more worried about missing out on the real time events than twitter feeds or group chats. Live in the moment and live life to the fullest!

“Everyone has a happy ending. If you’re not happy, it’s not the end”

This quote is hands down probably one of my favorites because it makes me feel like a princess in a Disney movie. Thinking about how happy and cheesy the endings of Disney movies are is a nice way to put things back into perspective. God has a plan and wants the best for us. Our happy ending is out there waiting, we just have to trust the process of getting there and be ready to put that glass slipper on!

“Love without regrets”

This reminds me of the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ lyrics, “Show love with no remorse.” Love doesn’t have to be with a lover, it can be passion for a sport, caring for a friend, playing with your dog or anything and anyone else that holds a special place in your heart. Whatever it may be, never have regrets with that person or feeling. You have to be 100% with it, otherwise you’ll look back and wish you had done more. The warmth in your heart from knowing you did your best for you, or someone else, and shared the grace and love we are blessed with daily is what life is all about!

“Laugh it off”

If you can’t laugh at yourself every once in a while, then you’re doing something wrong. Things happen and, as Taylor Swift says, we just need to “Shake it off.” Life is too short not to laugh and move on, there are too many things to enjoy in life to get stuck dwelling on an embarrassment or insecurity. Be you and love being you!

Last, but certainly not least…

“Choose chocolate. Choose happiness”

Take a bite of a nice, sweet chocolate, or whatever your desired comfort food may be, and let the wave of pleasure wash over you. It’s slowing down for simple moments like these that can have a positive impact on your day!

Gif credit: sheldon, calories, slipper, taylor, bee

Math Teacher by day, bass player by night and a bee for life <3
Her Campus at SAU