Hygge Essentials You’ll Need for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

If you’re a fan of all things cozy, you might be into the Danish lifestyle practice referred to as Hygge.

Hygge, (pronounced hoo-gah), is a self-care practice that the Danes have used for years to embrace the dark months of the year by improving their environment and mindset. These 4 things will help you get all those warm and fuzzy feels.

Lighting

When the seasons change and it starts to get darker sooner, you don’t want to be suffering under an overhead light. Buy some Christmas/fairy lights and string them up around your room. Lamps and other soft lights create a more restful and warmer environment. Other lighting options are candles. If you’re living in a dorm, this may not be achievable, but you can use Scentsy pots or other candle alternatives that don’t have flames.

The Perfect Fall Playlist

If you’re into jazzy, classic songs with a cozy vibe, add them to a new playlist and jam out all season long. If not, there are plenty of great pre-made Fall playlists out there on the internet. If you have Spotify, I’ve included a link to my personal Fall playlist that I’ve been listening to.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0RGmytSDH8sqbF7UZUlIHP?si=TyjqCcF9TXOBaaCINiGUWw

Fall Drinks

If you are among the lucky ones who have extra time in the morning, take time to enjoy a cup of coffee, free from distractions. If you are relaxing at night, have a cup of hot tea or hot chocolate to warm you up and make you feel cozy!

Fluff & Fuzz

There’s nothing like a cozying up with a comfy blanket on a chilly night. It is also currently trendy to wear coats with the same feeling! Sherpa coats are super stylish and comfortable for the cold months ahead, so go ahead and treat yourself to one!

Hygge is a good way to practice mindfulness and finding comfort in the chaos of the cold winter months. These are just 4 of the essentials you can bring into your routine this season!

Lydia Trimble is studying Public Relations and Strategic Communication with minors in Marketing and Psychology. Lydia's interests outside of school include food & wine, mixology, and good television. Instagram @lydiatrimble Twitter @lydiatrimble23
Her Campus at SAU