Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to “Wow” Your S/O on Valentine’s Day by Using Their Love Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I’m sure that most of you have either heard of or taken the infamous “Love Languages” quiz. If not, then you’re probably living under a rock. Basically, there are five different ways that people like to be loved. They are: physical touch, quality time, words of affirmation, receiving gifts and acts of service. The results of this quiz are very beneficial when trying to figure out the best way to show your significant other that you love them. 

On Valentine’s Day, your own love language should not be your concern. The focus of the day should be on your partner and showing them that you appreciate having them in your life. In this article, I have included some of the best ways to “wow” your significant other this Valentine’s Day by using their love language. 

Physical Touch

If your partner’s love language is physical touch, then you got the easy task. Touch them. This doesn’t have to be interpreted in a sexual way, it can also be used to describe physical affection. Hold their hand when you go to dinner. Surprise them with a massage or back rub at night. Your partner wants to feel close to you, physically. The best gift they could receive this Valentine’s Day is a nice foot rub or meaningful kiss. 

Quality Time

I have found that most people land on quality time as their love language. In fact, this is mine. Nothing will show your partner you love them like uninterrupted time with them. Although, just physically being there next to them does not count. You need to make an effort to be present and give them your undivided attention. On Valentine’s Day, try putting your phone away for most of the day. Reserve a nice dinner for the two of you. Or, plan something that you know they love; bowling, game night, ect. These acts will be sure to make your partner fall in love with you all over again. 

Words of Affirmation

If your partner’s love language is words of affirmation, they desire vocal reassurance of how you feel towards them. On Valentine’s Day, try making them a card and writing down all of the things you love about them. Or, leave them little sticky notes around the house that they can read when they wake up. Words speak volumes; especially for those whose love language is words of affirmation. 

Receiving gifts

Giving gifts is a typical part of Valentine’s Day. But if your partner’s love language is receiving gifts, they don’t want the highest name brand purse (or maybe they do). What they really want is a gift that you picked out that reminds you of them, or something that they had mentioned in the past that you remembered. Nothing says, “I love you” like remembering the shirt your significant other said that they really liked when you went to Target a few weeks ago. This shows that you not only recognize their love language, but you truly listen to them and what they have to say. 

Acts of Service

Lastly, we have acts of service. If this is your partner’s love language, then they appreciate actions more than words. For Valentine’s Day, make them breakfast in bed. Or, you could surprise them with a clean car and a full tank of  gas. Do the laundry for them, (or maybe that’s asking too much). Physical acts of kindness are what your partner desires more than anything else. 

If you only take one thing from this article, I want you to take this; Valentine’s Day is not about you. It is about doing your very best to show the important person in your life how much you care about them. This doesn’t just go for boyfriend/girlfriends, either. Try to find out your friends and family’s love languages, too. I guarantee that it will make your relationship stronger. 

If you have never taken the Love Languages Quiz, I will leave the link below. 

https://www.5lovelanguages.com/quizzes/

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I am a junior at St. Ambrose Univerity. I am a Human Resource Management major and am also an intern for John Deere! I am very passionate about writing and collaborating with others. I hope you like my work!
Her Campus at SAU