How to End the Spring Break FOMO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

If you’re like me, your Instagram feed has been filled with countdowns until Cancun and TBTs of PCB trips for the past two weeks. If you’re even more like me, the FOMO starts to set in (FOMO= Fear of Missing Out). For a while I was the FOMO queen; “Why don’t I get to do fun things like that? I deserve a vacation, too!” This will be my third spring break of college, and I will be staying in the glorious tundra that is the Midwest. And here’s the thing: I’m not jealous of anyone going on a vacation, and I no longer suffer from FOMO syndrome. Since when is it surprising that you’re not driving 16 hours to Florida in your friend’s spacious Ford Focus to binge drink for seven days straight? I like to party as much as the next chick, but I’m here to tell you why you don’t need to be jealous of anyone vaycay-ing this break.

1. You’re saving money. To be frank, I don’t know how half of the people I see are able to pay for these tropical vacations. If you’re good at saving your money, teach me your ways. If mommy and daddy are funding your PCB habits, well, maybe it’s time to grow up a little bit. And besides, won’t it feel that much better when you finally do get away, knowing that you paid for it all on your own?

2. You will truly be able to unwind. Road tripping with your friends always sounds like a good idea, but arguing over gas money, trying to keep track of your belongings when you have bangin’ hotel parties, and running down the street in heels looking for your blacked out BFF does not sound ideal.

3. There is no “right way” to do spring break. Spring break is exactly what it sounds like, a break!! You have an entire week to do whatever you please. If you want to work extra hours and make bank, do it! If you want to go home and watch Netflix with your cat, only getting up to refill your wine glass, do it! Don’t feel pressure from your peers that if you’re not partying in a bikini, you’re wasting your time. Do whatever you have to do in order to feel relaxed, refreshed, and ready for the second half of your semester.

4. You’ll have time to tackle everything on your to-do list. You know which one I’m talking about. Remember when you said you’d do that Pinterest craft, finally clean out your closet, and learn how to make perfect Eggs Benedict? You’ll feel amazing after tackling all those tasks and projects that you’ve wanted to do but just didn’t have time!

5. And last but finally not least…No spring break diet! I’m not here to say that since you won’t be in a bikini, you shouldn’t be eating healthy and being active. What I mean is that you’re not starving and overworking your body just so you can put it all back on with Bud Light and Hot Cheetos. Crash diets are unhealthy and unnatural (duh) anyways. Why should you ever stress yourself out before you go on a vacation, just because of how you’ll look?

If you’ve been experiencing spring break FOMO, hopefully this helps. Keep in mind you have the rest of your life to travel anywhere you please. As college students, we’re already stressed out 24/7. We don’t need to inflict any extra stress upon ourselves. Now if you need me, I’ll be counting down the days until I’m on my parent’s couch…

Photos Courtesy of: iStock.com, gify.com

Hey there, I'm Lindsey! I'm obsessed with teacup pigs, I'm the queen of thrift shopping, and sometimes people call me Loinsberry.
Her Campus at SAU