Helping Out For Hunger Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again!

The leaves are golden and orange. The temperature starts to drop, and it’s Hunger Week! We have an Ambrose tradition to help the hungry and promote social justice. We are kept terribly busy, but there are still opportunities to help those in need. Nothing warms up the soul more than doing some good community service by taking action.

The advantage we have are all the Hunger Week events held on campus. It’s easy, fast, and very convenient to donate for the cause. Show your support by attending at least one event and bring your friends along. With all the options there is something for everyone.

The atmosphere makes these events a big winner. Students are attracted to volunteer, but it’s the socializing that makes these events so popular. There are many ways to help. Promote the event, donate food, money, and even your muscles to help collect and pack the food. There isn’t the need to go off campus, and there is no long term commitment since it’s only once a year.

Local pantries are also a great way to get involved. Volunteer to help pack food and distribute food baskets to the recipients. The holidays are coming and churches deliver holiday food baskets to those in need. Give your time and volunteer with a soup kitchen. Share your culinary skills for a good cause or if cooking isn’t your thing you can help clean the kitchen and wash dishes. Of course, there’s always the best job, which is serving the food. You get to do your part and see first hand whose lives you’re impacting!

These non-profit organizations need money. You can try to hold fundraisers on your own with your family and friends. A car wash, bake sale, raffles, luncheon, garage sales, anything can work to raise donations and awareness.  If having a fundraiser doesn’t fit in your schedule, then volunteer for any fundraising events the non-profit may be holding.

Giving back is easier than we may think. Get creative and use your own skills and talents. It all starts with initiative. Everyone can help make a big difference no matter how small the job.

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!