The Fun Way to Learn a Foreign Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

We live in a small world. Technology and transportation enable us to glimpse into the lives of people all over the world. For this reason, learning a foreign language is essential in our lives today.  A new language must be learned but also practiced.

Learning a new language is best in a class setting.   But, come on, we need a little break once in a while! A fun way to practice and brush up on your skills is super easy. Simply watch and listen.

The benefits of listening to foreign music and watching foreign films are something that can’t be found in a classroom. It is important to listen to a fluent speaker. The advantage of listening to music and watching movies is that it is not intimidating! First of all, you can always repeat if you didn’t understand the first time. You also don’t have to feel embarrassed if you don’t feel very confident to talk with a fluent speaker yet.  Afterwards, when you approach a fluent speaker you can feel more at ease. Their graceful and perfect accent won’t make you panic. Hey! You’ll even find yourself having a little conversation. You’ll feel so accomplished!

Must-see foreign films:

“Wasabi”
(French/Japanese) I love every single character! It is definitely one of those movies that has such a good cast–it’s like they were born for the role.  The movie is about a Frenchman who finds out he has a 20-year-old daughter. They take a wild, hilarious, and heartwarming journey until they realize the importance of family.

“Pan’s Labyrinth” (Spanish) Totally cheesy, but I still believe in fairy tales. This is a dark fairy tale that ends with a happy and sad ending. It is definitely bitter sweet, but the most amazing bed-time story. The soundtrack is also incredible.

“My Girlfriend is a Cyborg” (Japanese) This is the ultimate love story. It is so heart-breaking, but it is one of my favorite movies. If you aren’t the love story type of lady, you will still love this movie. It is full of mystery and sci-fi. Jiro is a lonely guy who finally starts to live when a charming girl arrives into his life. The reality of the story will shock you.

Have that popcorn ready for the international movie night slumber party! 

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!