Life > Experiences

Five Traditions I Will Break On My Wedding Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Ever since I was little I have been daydreaming about my wedding day. I may have a Pinterest board or two dedicated to dresses, flowers, and decor but as I have gotten older some of my plans have changed. Weddings are full of traditions and expectations, but that doesn’t mean we have to follow them. Here are five traditions I will NOT be following on my wedding day:

1. A White Veil: The tradition get up for a bride is white, white, and white. Although I plan on having a white dress, I can’t imagine not having a pop of color! I love the idea of a floral wedding veil, with beautiful bright embroidery. A little color just makes sense to me!
  2. Bridal Makeup: One of the most important things for a bride on her big day is the perfect bridal makeup. But here’s the thing, I hate wearing makeup. I am planning on being a fresh-faced beauty on my big day!
  3. Not seeing my partner on the day of the wedding: When I imagine waking up on my wedding day, I imagine waking up next to my partner. There is no other person I want to greet me on our big day together. How peaceful would it be to wake up, share breakfast together, and then go get ready to say “I Do.”
  4. Matching Bridesmaid Dresses: Matching bridesmaid dresses is not the way for me. I want each of my bridesmaids to feel comfortable and feel that their dress fits their body. As long as the colors go together, let them wear what makes them feel beautiful!
  5. Wearing A Garter: Okay, maybe I wear one BUT we are definitely not doing a garter toss. I do not want my family, friends, and coworkers watching my partner dig under my dress for this piece of lingerie. I don’t imagine anyone at the venue would be comfortable!

Remember: your wedding day is your day. Follow whatever tradition you want and don’t follow the ones you don’t like. A wedding is for you and your partner to share your love, do what makes you comfortable!

Elena is an Editor and Social Media Content Creator at HC @SAU. She oversees writing, edited articles, and posting on our media accounts. Beyond HC Elena is involved in theatre, Quercus, TAC, and is a member of the education preparation program. She also if the workstudy for theatre department, works at SAU Children's Campus, and at a local bookstore. Elena is majoring in Early Childhood Education with an endorsement in Special Education as well as getting a minor in both theatre and writing. In her freetime, Elena enjoys reading, writing poetry, and buying tote bags. Fun fact she is working writing a book.