Fifth Harmony: A Girl Group on the Rise

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

You may not have heard of Fifth Harmony yet, but the newest girl group to hit the music scene is making an impact already—even before their first single or album has been released.

Fifth Harmony, formed on the second season of The X Factor US by Simon Cowell, the same man behind One Direction’s worldwide success, consists of Ally Brooke Hernandez, Camila Cabello, Dinah Jane Hansen, Lauren Jauregui and Normani Kordei. After placing third on the show, they were signed by Epic Records and are currently in the studio recording their first album while simultaneously releasing covers.

Their renditions of Frank Ocean’s “Thinking ‘Bout You,” and Lana Del Rey’s “American,” are steadily gaining views on their YouTube channel OfficalFifthHarmony. But after releasing a cover of Ed Sheeran’s “Lego House” this week, prompting the singer to tweet the video link to his followers and call Fifth Harmony’s version “Incredible,” Fifth Harmony’s fanbase is growing and widening. With the momentum they’ve kept from The X Factor and contributed to with their covers, the girls are creating a solid and loyal fanbase that can only help them rise to the top.

It doesn’t hurt that each member of Fifth Harmony has a twitter account where they often interact with their fans—many are followed not only by the group’s official account, but by the girls themselves. Camila routinely answers questions sent by fans on her tumblr (waakeme-up). This allows Fifth Harmony’s fans to feel close to the girls. Fifth Harmony becomes more than simply a group the fans like, but they become their friends.  

The five girls range for ages 15-19 and are all women of color. With Hollywood and the Music Industry dominated by men—especially white men—a successful girl group consisting of three members who can speak Spanish (Ally, Camila and Lauren sang part of Shontelle’s hit “Impossible,” in Spanish on The X Factor) will bring visibility to many young people who don’t see themselves reflected in popular media.

Everyone wants to see people who look like them when they turn on the television. It helps people—especially children and adolescents—feel less alone and strange. It also helps affirm their identity; they do not have to feel ashamed of themselves and their heritage. Fifth Harmony has the opportunity to be this reflection for the many Latina, African American and Tongan girls living in the United States (and all around the world) who have trouble finding themselves in the media when most celebrities are white—and when these girls do see their ethnicity represented, it is often in a stereotypical, harmful way. Fifth Harmony can serve as role models for a generation of girls coming into their own today simply by being themselves.

Simon Cowell recently revealed that their first single will be released soon, and Demi Lovato—who acted as a judge on Fifth Harmony’s season of The X Factor and performed her hit “Give Your Heart a Break,” with the girls as one of their finale performances—is said to have collaborated with them on their album.

You can follow the girls on twitter @FifthHarmony and on their individual accounts @AllyBrooke, @camilacabello97, @dinahjane97, @LaurenJauregui and @NormaniKordei

Her Campus at SAU