This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Recently another tragedy struck within a school. More students and teachers were harmed and killed. Too often these instances occur because of America’s inability to unite under a decision for legislation. Instead of unification, the parties split further down the seams to separate the country. You might think (or at least hope) that the murders of innocent children in their supposed safe place would promote change within the government system, however that is not proving so true as of now.

Democrats are fighting endlessly for gun control, background checks, and mental health awareness, however with a Republican president in office and with many of his fellows being republicans and many also backed by the NRA, it is hard to get anything done. The Republicans prefer to assign blame to mental health and other aspects, however they have no objectives aimed at anything relating to guns themselves (besides adding more guns to the mix, like arming teachers ((don’t get me started on how that is a disaster))). Now, whether you are a liberal or conservative, hopefully everyone agrees something needs to be changed in the system.

Instead of politicians, legislators, or really anyone with actual authority, it has been teenagers breaking the system’s norms. After Parkland was affected first hand, the students there made it their mission to get justice one way or another. By leading in protests and marches, debating, and calling the NRA and those endorsed by them out, these kids are the real adults in this situation. Honestly, listening to these high schoolers speak is amazing. The points they make, how intelligently they speak, and how honest they are is really admirable, especially for being high schoolers and not having any experience within the media.

Despite how horrendous everything is, it is refreshing to have such a strong group of kids speaking out and making some positive changes in America. Even if you don’t agree with their view (which to each their own…) you have to give them props for how much good they have done and how hard they have worked. Follow them on twitter even to see their latest statements.

Also I recommend researching these issues happening right now on your own. Read some news stories such and this and this or really any CREDIBLE news sources stories. Also watch the news on tv. They have been talking about gun control opinions almost nonstop lately. Then, go VOTE, then tell your friends and family to vote. Don’t let these terrible shootings keep occurring and prevent them from happening where you go to school. Legislation is necessary. No matter what political party you affiliate with, please just vote and make a change for good.

Majoring in strategic communication & multimedia journalism and minoring in graphic design & radio and television at St. Ambrose University.  
Her Campus at SAU