This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Have you ever wanted to make your own scrunchie? Well, here’s how!

Making scrunchies is super fun, super easy, and a great way to utilize your crafty skills while relieving some stress!

I learned how to make scrunchies last year with my gramma. My gramma is a life-time craft-a-holic who has been quilting and sewing for countless years. It’s one of her favorite pastimes. But recently her arthritis in her hands has gotten to be too much for her to be able to continue with fewer hobbies. Therefore, I came up with the idea of making homemade scrunchies! This way I could learn how to make scrunchies and my gramma got to pass on some of her sewing skills.

Supplies:

• Fabric of your choice (cotton or other thin materials works best)*
  • Elastic (I prefer ¼ in. wide but anything is okay because it will go inside the fabric sleeve)
  • Needle and Thread
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Safety Pins
  • Sewing machine (optional)

*I purchase a quarter yard of whatever fabric I pick when I go to the store. This can make up to 3 scrunchies.

Directions:

1. First, wash and/or iron your fabric if it is crumbled or dirty.
  2. Lay the fabric out flat on a clean surface. Measure a strip of fabric that is 22in long and approximately 3.5in wide. (The width can be anywhere from 2.5 inches to 4in depending on how big you want the scrunchie to be. I typically prefer 3.5in).
  3. Cut out your strip of fabric.
  4. Next, you will take the strip of fabric and place it so the front side (with the pattern) is laying on the table. Then, fold your strip horizontally (hotdog style) so that the back side (the side without the pattern) is facing out. Pin the fabric to stay folded.
  5. Then, sew the open edges of the fabric strip closed, creating a long, inside out tube. If using a sewing machine, allow for about a quarter inch seam allowance. If sewing by hand use a tight running stitch. Also, do not worry if your seam is not perfectly straight, once the scrunchie is done, it will be impossible to tell.
  6. Take your tube and turn it inside out so that your seam is inside the tube and your pattern is now on the outside.
  7. The next step is to measure your elastic. Simply wrap the elastic around your wrist and add about a half-inch on each side for tying.
  8. Once you have your piece of elastic cord, you will safety pin one side of the cord to an end of the fabric tube and an end of the elastic. Attach another safety pin to the other end of the elastic cord.
  9. Feed the elastic cord through the fabric tube so that the fabric tube is now scrunched around the elastic and both ends of the elastic meet.
  10. Secure the elastic cord by tying it (double knot!) or you can sew the ends together. I have done both ways and either one works.
  11. Lastly, hand sew the two ends of the fabric tube to each other. I typically use a slanted overhand stitch, but you can do whatever makes you feel comfortable to get the ends attached. Again, this does not have to be super pretty. When the scrunchie is on your wrist or in your hair no one can tell!
  12. And you’re done! Go rock your new scrunchie girl!

-Kelsey

Exercise Science Pole Vault & Saxophone Craft Enthusiast
Her Campus at SAU