Creative New Year’s Resolutions for 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

We have all made those wonderfully unrealistic New Year’s Resolutions that last a whole three days and then somehow go down the drain. Why not try something different this year? Instead of the cliché resolutions, look below for some interesting ideas.

• Acts of Kindness- Make a resolution to do a random act of kindness for someone every day. Whether it is complimenting a complete stranger or surprising your Mom with a gift, being good to others can actually be good for you.
  • Words of Wisdom- Keep a notebook and every day find a quote you find powerful or interesting to write down. Soon you’ll have a book full of quotes you can use for inspiration in the future.
  • Face a Fear- Make a plan to face a big fear every time you are confronted with it. Don’t let a fear hold you back your whole life because you might be missing out.
  • Volunteer- Try to volunteer more in 2013. There are great ways to get involved with the community and SAU has some great volunteering options.
  • Reconnect- People from the past can make a great addition to your present and future. Call up that old friend from elementary school or that old flame you still think about from time to time. Who knows what can happen?
  • Healthy & Happy- Instead of the normal “lose 10 pounds resolution” make a decision to be healthy inside and out. Not just the body, but the mind also.
  • Me Time– Do something selfish for you and make it a habit! Get that caramel frappuccino every Monday. Drink that glass of wine or Bud Lite after work (if over 21! :)). Spend a ridiculous amount of time on Pinterest. Whatever it is, make time for you to relax and enjoy the little things.
  • Don’t Make a Resolution– Sometimes it’s better to not even make a resolution and instead focus on being a better you.