College: How to have a successful transition!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As a new school year begins, there is always an overwhelming feeling associated with jumping into new things. As a sophomore at St. Ambrose, I am reminded of the feeling I felt on my first day of college.

As I pulled up to the freshman dorm in August 2012, I couldn’t wait for a new start. After I unpacked my belongings in my new room, I began to meet more people, and I thought to myself, “Wow, I am going to love college!”

College has been nothing but a fantastic experience for me. I learned quickly that while jumping into new experiences I would meet new friends and it would help be understand college more, which made my transition both easy and fun. 

Here are a few tips to help make your college experience more fun and exciting:

1.      Don’t be afraid!

For me, there was 600 incoming freshman coming in alongside me. Everyone is thinking the same thing, and feeling the same emotions. Don’t be afraid to go talk to people you don’t know! On my first day, this girl and I both randomly started talking, we had a lot on common and ended up being great friends!

2.      Join new clubs!

Normally most colleges/universities have club fairs in the beginning of the school year. There are a lot of different clubs that feature people’s different interests. Either it is a club that focuses on your major or a club that is particular hobby, there is bound to be something bound that you have interest in.

3.      Dance for the Kids!

Many colleges and universities raise money through the Miracle Network by having a dance marathon for children who have diseases. I participated in Dance Marathon freshman year and it was a rewarding experience! You get to individually raise money for the foundation, meet families that are apart of Dance Marathon, and you get to dance! Sounds like an incredible and fun time to me! 

My friend and I having some fun in the photo booth at DM SAU.

4.      Attend the Hall Events!

If you are living in a dorm on campus, either RA’s or the Hall Directors plan events that bring the whole dorm together. This is a great opportunity to meet people you are living with in your building. I have met a lot of people through hall events. Don’t be afraid to go to the Ice Cream Social and “socialize” with new people!

5.      Be open to new people!

Coming into college, all you want to do is meet new friends. So, always be open to meeting new people even if you don’t have that much in common. You never know who will become your best friend! I have a great group of friends, but I’m always willing tto meet new people. Just be yourself, and remember everyone is sharing the same, exciting, and thrilling experience with you!

Hi readers! My name is Mary Blesz! I am a sophomore at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa. I am double majoring in Marketing and Management, with minors in Public Relations and Organizational Leadership! I am involved with Residence Life on campus, and also cannot wait to help with St. Ambrose's Dance Marathon! Helping out the kids is such a fulfilling thing I have done in the past and can't wait to see where this goes! FTK (For the Kids!)When I am not busy with the mountian full of homework I always have, I will normally be seen with all my friends! My friends are great group of people that I have met here at Ambrose! College has opened my eyes to so many new people! It is kind of interesting to me to meet people from all over; like Chicago (lots of my friends are from the area) and even people who loved in the same hometown!!!I have a huge "passion for fashion." I love to see what is most popular, and incorporate the latest trends within my own style. My style has a mixture of what my mood of the day is! One day I can pull out the high-waisted shorts and the crop top and flaunt my ombre hair, and then another day, wear the classic peplum top, with my hair pulled into a fashionable bun! I love reading about the latest trends and expressing it through my own personal style! I hope you enjoy what I can share with you through my own experiences and stories! Enjoy!!!!
Her Campus at SAU