Cheers from London!: Final Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I have to start with my excitement for spring! I only have a little over a week left in beautiful London, and I never imagined saying “I’m hot!” in London…until now! London has been wonderful in its stereotypical weather. That picturesque image of London’s streets on a cloudy rainy day was mostly always on during my stay here. It was fun watching the locals using umbrellas when it snowed because apparently London doesn’t get much snow and this year was the first year it snowed so much in a long time–although the snow never sticks to the ground much. Our program director joked and told us that if it snowed the city would practically be shut down, and I was surprised to learn he was right. Snow fall would send people scattering home and rushing on the streets for cover. They had no idea what to do with themselves, and now that it is nice weather and sunny, Londoners are getting a little taste of what we Midwesterners always get, “spring fever.”

Oh yes, you know what I mean! After having a long cold and dark winter we all crave for the sun on our skin once again. And just as soon as the temperature starts rising and with spring right around the corner we get restless of our winter wardrobes and being indoors. In my internship, my co-workers have been spending their time doing their work, but glancing longingly out the window, and all of the students practically run out the door for a walk when the professors give us a break from our three hour creative writing class. All of this sounds familiar to us, right? There really isn’t that big of a deal for us, except that I got to see London in the springtime. I can’t even believe I got to do this opportunity at all.

I can’t believe my time here is almost over! I’m so overwhelmed with emotions and I’ve been wishing I could stop time and make it fast forward. I’m overjoyed to see my friends and family once again in Iowa, but it breaks my heart to leave all of those I’ve met in London. Before I left home, I knew I would see my loved ones again, but now, I don’t know if I will ever see anyone from London and the program ever again. I like to think of it as the beginning and not the end for me. I’ve been too sad that this adventure is coming to an end, but I think everything is new now.

First of all, I feel like a new person. I know you hear it said by people who study abroad all time, but it’s true. I can’t even explain how I changed, all I know is that I feel different. I feel bolder, stronger, and so much more confident than ever before. I feel like I can do anything I set my mind to. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a shy girl with insecurities, but I feel that I’ve really come out of my shell in London. I’m so excited to go home and let my parents see this new me shine. I can’t wait to let this new me shine. I can now see how much I was holding back on every aspect of my life. I was always too afraid to take chances, but now I feel ready to take on anything that comes my way. This of course, comes with a little fear, I’m not going to lie. What if I go home and go back to being the girl I was before? What if once again I will be frightened to speak up, take chances and meet new people?

Regardless of what happens, I will never hold myself back again. If I would have let myself hold me back for London, I would have never experienced my wonderful memories. All I can say is that if you can study abroad, do it. I promise you, you will not regret it. And if you think you can’t but want to, just try and you will be surprised. I never would have imaged myself here because honestly I would never been able to afford, but if you really try and let your desire move you, you will be surprised at what you can accomplish.

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!