Candlelight Vigil: Commemorating Victims of Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

(below) SOUP, the Students Organized to Unite People, held their annual Candlelight Vigil at the beginning of November to commemorate the members of the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) community who have been harassed, bullied, and assaulted as a result of their sexual orientation or gender identity, including those who were driven to end their own lives. 

Upon arriving at the vigil, audience members were given a candle and then asked to adorn either a white knot, a purple ribbon, or both. The white knot symbolized the wearer’s belief in marriage equality. The purple ribbon was to promote awareness of the violence and bullying towards those in the LGBT community.

Brittany Smith, Davis hall director and faculty adviser for SOUP, played the piano eloquently as guests arrived to the event.

Julia Goodmann (’11) conversed with dean of students, Tim Phillips, a proud supporter and ally of the LGBT community, after her musical finale at the vigil.

Two SOUP members embrace after the Candlelight Vigil. This event proved to be moving not only for the audience members, but also for those who worked hard to put it together.

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!