Brittany Bersano ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The Christmas and grocery bingo caller this year may look a little different than past years because it is this week’s campus celebrity. Brittany Bersano is the president of the St. Ambrose Campus Activities Board (CAB) and plays a large role in bringing free events and groups to campus, including Parachute and Plain White T’s who will perform on Sunday night.

Major/minor: Marketing and Management double major with minors in Public Relations and Organizational Leadership

Hometown: Shorewood, IL

Dream job: It changes from day to day. I know I want to work with events. Ideally, I would love to be out in Chicago working with a non-profit organization or health-oriented organization that allows me to travel and impact others.

Campus involvement:Campus Activities Board President, Marketing Club, Campus Ministry

Hobbies/interests: Traveling, listening to music, baking, reading, writing, exploring.

What made you choose your major/minor: I’m a people person. I knew I wanted to enter a field that would allow me to be interactive with different experiences and people. There are a handful of opportunities that come with a focus on these degrees, and I like that they do not limit me to one specific occupation. In a way, the opportunities and options are endless.

Why did you join CAB: I joined CAB my freshman year because I wanted to be involved at St. Ambrose. Also, I had an idea that I wanted to work with events when I graduated, so I figured this would be a good opportunity for me to see if event planning was something I really had a passion for.

What is your favorite part of CAB:I honestly love everything about CAB. From working with the executive board and the members, to organizing events that are free and fun for all students, it’s hard not to enjoy being a part of such a great organization. I’d have to say one of my favorite things, though, is the feeling during and after an event. Whether it be a low-budget event, like the scavenger hunt, or a larger event, like Family Weekend or a big comedian/band, seeing the students attend, appreciate, and enjoy the events that CAB organizes is a great feeling. It helps us know that we’re doing our job and reminds us why we do what we do.

What does your position in CAB entail: As president, I make sure everyone is reared and ready to go for upcoming events. I also serve as the CAB representative at university or public events. Typically, I oversee board meetings and member meetings, emails, phone calls, requests, etc. I also help with the preparation of the events, whether that be calling agencies, overlooking contracts, setting up sound/chairs/lights, or tearing down afterward. At the same time, I feel my position entails a bit of encouragement. I am there to help with whatever the exec board may need and to encourage members not to limit themselves when brainstorming events. But CAB is a team effort, and I wouldn’t be doing what I do without the help of the board and members, too!

What are you looking forward to most this year: I do not really have expectations for my senior year…just to finish strong and have fun! My main goal for CAB this year is to increase member retention and to co-sponsor more events with different organizations to help every event reach its full potential.

Why St. Ambrose: When I visited Ambrose, everything just felt right. I loved the small class sizes with an emphasis on student success. Everyone on campus, from current students to faculty and staff, was very welcoming and helpful, and I was always greeted with a warm smile or a friendly hello while touring campus.  

Did you study abroad, if so where: I did the short term study abroad program, Rome and Christianity, with Fr. Bud and Ethan Gannaway. For 18 days, I explored Rome, Florence, Assisi and Milan. It was an incredible, once in a life-time experience. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Both professors are incredibly knowledgeable and the relationships built on the trip are so unique. If anyone has the chance to take this course…DO IT!!

Three things most people don’t know about you: Ironically, I strongly dislike the number three. I am very superstitious. I save all my old school work….so I’m kind of a hoarder.

Favorite quote/ motto to live by: Pax et Bonum (English translation: Peace and all good)

One last bit of information about Brittany: She loves ice cream!

Her Campus at SAU