Being Aware of Sexual Assault: Does Law & Order Tell Us Everything?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Sexual assault is a notoriously underreported crime, but statistics suggest that one in four college women will be sexually assaulted during their academic career.

Sexual assault could occur at St. Ambrose University. It’s not something that only happens at large state schools. It is not simply part of a television show we enjoy watching.

We’ve all seen the “Law and Order: Special Victim Unit” marathons on USA and become engrossed in the stories, wasting entire days curled up under a blanket on our futon, hoping to see the perpetrator brought to justice. While entertaining, these stories can and do relate to our lives. Certain episodes focus on sexual assault occurring college campuses.

The Sexual Assault Awareness Team, led by counselor Amy Scott, has developed a program being offered to residence halls where they will show an episode of “Law and Order: SVU” that features a college campus. After the episode a discussion will be held, led by student members and/or university professors. Thus, the purpose of the program is twofold: to entertain students and to educate them about a crime that could affect them or someone they know.

Raising awareness about sexual assault is essential to reducing its occurrence and eliminating it. People do not tend to discuss sexual assault because it can be a difficult subject to talk about. It’s personal and heavy. We may feel awkward discussing it, but that does not mean it should be ignored. Ignoring the issue does not make it go away. It can make it even worse and harder for victims to get help.

The SAAT team hopes this program will provide a starting point to insight discussion, as well as providing a safe place for students to share their feelings on sexual assault. By sharing their feelings on themes contained within the episode, students can learn about the issues associated with sexual assault, such as victim-blaming, and gain a great understanding of how complicated an issue sexual assault is. The goal is not to lecture to students, but to involve them in learning and relate the topic directly to their lives.

If watching an episode of a popular television show is not enough of an incentive for students to attend a program in their hall, food and beverages will be provided.

Students can help bring this program to their residence hall by talking to their RAs. The program can be used by their RAs to fulfill an RA’s own program requirements, making it easy for them since the program is already planned by the SAAT team.

Students can also email Amy Scott at scottamym@SAU.edu or the SAAT student coordinator Lindsey Mack at macklindseym@sau.edu for information on the “Law & Order: SVU” program or other events SAAT sponsors and puts on throughout the year.

The SAAT team meets at 6 p.m on Thursday nights in the Gottlieb Lounge for students who are interested in getting involved.