SAAT Take Back the Night
SAAT Take Back the Night
Photo by Veronica Alfred
Life > Experiences

Barbie Advocates(A Side of Me:Episode 3)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Who is a Member of SAAT and a Sexual Assault Advocate?

SAAT Take Back the Night
Photo by Veronica Alfred

The Sexual Assault Awareness Team (SAAT) raises awareness of sexual assault and domestic violence on campus and promotes healthy relationships. Our mission is to make sure all people have a safe campus free of violence. We are an active group of students and advocates, ready to personally help victims and inform the campus and community about the impact of sexual assault and domestic violence. SAAT’s Confidential Student Advocates assist and support individuals who have been impacted by sexual assault and domestic violence. Advocates serve as a confidential person to talk to, provide resources, and assist in the reporting process. If you would like to speak to an advocate, email us at SAATAdvocate@sau.edu

My involvement in SAAT is as the Social Media Chair and Secretary. I run the Instagram page and create the content that goes up on it. I am also a sexual assault advocate for the campus. We currently have about 10 advocates who serve our campus with about another 8-10 who want to be trained this fall. I have added our email above if you want to talk to us. We are a confidential resource which means I won’t tell anyone what you have disclosed to me and I will help you do whatever you decide to choose.

These roles have given me an opportunity to advocate for those on campus who may be afraid to use their voice or feel like their voice has been silenced. I love helping plan our events especially the Defense after Dark but my ultimate favorite is always Walk A Mile. By becoming an advocate I feel like I have the ability to help the campus in a big way but also bring awareness to not only sexual assault but only domestic violence.  

Veronica A(V) is the Campus Correspondent at HC @ SAU. She oversees the entire chapter including editorial, events, social media, etc. Beyond HC, V is involved on campus. She is the President of DAPi. She is the Social Media Director for SAAT, and a Sexual Assault Advocate. Veronica is majoring in Early Childhood Education with an endorsement in Special Education and a minor in Music. She is currently student teaching!!! In her freetime, V plays the flute and other instruments and can sing. She used to play and coach softball. Veronica was born in Florida but now lives in Illinois. She also has 2 cats at home. She was the D.E.I. Ambassador for 2 years.